ST 65 NE
Church of St. Peter
Anglican Parish Church. C15, extension (and restoration?) dated 1638, major restoration and extension 1891 by Garner. Rubble, ashlar, stone slate and slate roofs.
West tower, nave, chancel, north porch, north chapel, south aisle and vestry. Mainly Perpendicular. Square tower of three stages with weathered, set-back buttresses and south west polygonal stair turret with narrow pointed door; first stage has plinth, small west door under dripmould below a three-light window with a hood mould with - the hallmark of this tower - extraordinarily large stops, in this case a musician and a woman with rosary, blank to south, to north a blank three-light pointed window, heavy hollow moulded tracery, hood mould has an elephant and a rhinoceros; second stage, above weathered string has one two-light blank window per side, except east, details as below, stops include grotesque cat and dog, toad and monk; third stage, above weathered string has one two-light window per side, smaller hood moulds, above cornice with gargoyles is a castellated parapet with crocketted corner pinaccles, stair turret, slightly higher with smaller castellation.
Nave obscured to south by aisle, visible bay has a three-light straight head window under hood mould, to north are two similar windows below a castellated parapet. Gabled north porch with stone slates, pointed arch under flat hood mould with decorated spandrels, above is an empty image niche with nodding canopy and finials, within is a four-centred arch doorway with plank door with tracery panels, above is a mutilated image niche.
Gabled north chapel, dated 1638, of two bays with thin buttresses, to west is a three-light restored window as nave above a plank door in a tudor arch, blank quatrefoil in gable, east end is the same but lacks door, to north two similar windows and castellated parapet. Two-bay gabled chancel of 1891 has to north two three-light straight head windows with hood moulds, one similar window to south, large five-light east window with delicate tracery, chancel is all of ashlar with extensive red lichen staining.
Gabled south aisle, also 1891, has four windows as chancel, three-light pointed windows east and west, central castellated chimney, castellated organ loft protrudes at east end, low castellated vestry to south, both with similar details to aisle.
Interior: tower arch has double wave moulding, nave has four-bay arcade on octagonal piers to aisle, similar two to chapel, little difference in organ loft and chancel arches restored wagon roof, rood stair door; Chancel has triple sedilia and two-tier piscina, like most internal detail, of 1891.
Fittings: much restored octagonal font of C15 ascription with Jacobean hood; C18 timber pulpit with raised and fielded panels and thin foliate carving; C17 parish chest.
Monuments: the north manor chapel contains two glorious Carew monuments. Sir John Carew and wife Elizabeth, 1640, recumbent figures on a large chest tomb with paired corner pilasters flanking crests and frieze to ends and praying family and children to sides, a good deal of colour remains; John Carew, died 1683 and Dorothy, again recumbent figures, this time with angel on elaborate chest tomb with Ruscan columns and seated daughters in niches; wall monument, Thomas Carew, 1719, marble, composite columns, pediment with putti and acroterion, half-relief busts flank coat of arms, apron with text; another wall monument, Elizabeth Carew, died 1747, dark marble ground, broken pediment, text supported by scrolls, apron with putto; Lansdowne family wall monument in aisle, first date 1668, Ionic columns carry pediment with coat of arms, they flank slate cartouche with memento mori and text, corbels flank apron with putto and swags; another in nave, Lansdowne family of Woodborough, first date 1731, marble, fluted pilasters carry frieze and cornice below family arms; in the aisle is a reclining female figure, remnant of a late C17 tomb?
Listing NGR: ST6870157441