SUTTON COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1129576
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
SUTTON COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of SUTTON COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129576.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 07:27:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
SUTTON COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stowey-Sutton
National Grid Reference:
ST 59682 60451

Details

ST 56 SE STOWEY-SUTTON STOWEY

1/91 Sutton Court 21.9.60 G.V. II*

Former fortified manor, now country house. Early C14 with additions and alterations in c.1450, 1558, c.1700 and an extensive restructuring and restoration by T.H. Wyatt in 1858-60. Squared and coursed sandstone rubble throughout with freestone and ashlar dressings, copings, slate roofs. North front comprises a central 3 storey C14 pele tower with taller circular stair turret and 2 storey ranges linking it to 1558 'Bess of Hardwick Building' to the left and a 4-bay 1858- 60 servants' wing of 3 storeys to the right. Windows to pele tower and right hand linking range are C15 of 2 cusped lights with hoodmoulds, some renewed, some relocated from other areas. 1858-60 doorway to tower. Windows to left hand linking range and 'Hardwick Building' are 4 and 6-light chamfered mullions. 2 storey 'Hardwick' range has diagonal offset buttresses. C18 battlements to pele tower, tall octagonal ashlar stacks. The irregularity of the south front was re-emphasised by Wyatt who created a 7 bay, 2 storey range with 3 gabled canted bays, one end advanced bay and a central advanced porch with bay window above. Fenestration almost entirely C19 six-light chamfered mullions. Central doorway with bolection surround and semi-circular hood on ornately carved brackets. Armorial shield above doorway and sundial to parapet with datestone: HS/1734. Interior. At time of resurvey (July 1985) the rooms were being treated for dry rot. All mediaeval features disappeared in Wyatt's thorough restoration except the roof structure to the 'Hardwick Building' which survives above the C19 coved ceiling: through purlin roof with collar and tie beams and arched windbraces. Several Wyatt fireplaces. Manor built by William de Sutton, Elizabeth Hardwick, Lady St. Loe owned it in 1558 and the Wyatt restoration and rebuilding was carried out for Sir Edward Strachey. (J. Collinson, History of Somerset, 1791; Country Life, 22 January 1910; R. Cooke, West Country Houses, 1957; Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5968260451

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
32831
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Collinson, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, (1791)
Cooke, R, West Country Houses, (1957)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
'Country Life' in 22 January, (1910)
'Country Life' in 22 January, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/12193/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Merrett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].