TIMSBURY C.P. CHURCH LANE
ST 65 NE
2/24 Church of St. Mary the Virgin
21 9 60 (formerley listed as the Church of
G.V. II* St Mary's)
Anglican Parish Church. 1826-32, east end of 1852 by Sir George G. Scott.
Ashlar, slate roofs. West tower, aisled nave, chancel, north and south chancels.
West tower of 2 stages, diagonal buttresses, tall west window under drip with
subsidiary tracery and glazing, south door under drip, each side of the second
stage has 2-light window under hoodmould with pierced tracery, clock to east, very
thin battlemented parapet with ill-proportioned finials; 4-bay embattled nave has
2-light Y-tracery windows under drips, diagonal buttresses with finials, gabled
south porch; gabled chancel of 1852 has a 3-light Perpendicular east window,
quatrefoil frieze to gable, gargoyles, diagonal buttresses, identically dressed
north and south chapels. Interior: thin arcade with clustered shafts, similarly
detailed arcade with screen to Lady Chapel. Monuments: a good collection of
early C19 tablets including, Gratiana Palmer, 1823, marble woman weeping by urn on
slate ground by Reeves of Bath; Mary Palmer Smith, 1826, marble urn and shield,
slate ground by Greenway of Bristol, John Parish, RN, 1837 with anchor, globe,
flag; Samborne Palmer, 1814, marble draped urn, inverted torches, slate ground,
Lancashire of Bath. Many monuments reflect the long association of the Samborne
family with the parish. In the Lady Chapel is a fine C17 wall monument,
gadrooned base with skull, columns, heavy entablature below ogee head with ball
finials, in north vestry is a recumbent chivalric figure on good chest tomb with
heraldry, to Barnaby Samborne, died 1610, but very clean, (scraped or copied?).
(Source: N. Pevsner : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol : 1958).
Listing NGR: ST6672658603