THE PIER, INCLUDING THE TOLLHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1129687
Date first listed:
10-Aug-1971
Statutory Address:
THE PIER, INCLUDING THE TOLLHOUSE, MARINE PARADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PIER, INCLUDING THE TOLLHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129687 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 10:28:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PIER, INCLUDING THE TOLLHOUSE, MARINE PARADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Clevedon
National Grid Reference:
ST 40088 71939

Details

CLEVEDON

749/1/16 MARINE PARADE 749/3/16 (West side) 10-AUG-71 The Pier, including the Tollhouse

GV I



Pier with attached toll house. 1867-69 with alterations of 1892-4; extensively conserved 1988-1999. John William Grover (1836-92) and Richard Ward (1817-81), engineers, Hans Price, architect. Wrought and cast iron structure and shelters; toll house of rough-faced sandstone, roof hidden by parapet. DESCRIPTION: pier consists of eight 100 ft arched spans leading to a landing stage. The exceptionally slender spans are constructed from riveted broad-gauge railway track as designed by W.H. Barlow for the Great Western Railway. Each span is arched, with radiating struts; each span is carried on a pair of arched stanchions, tension-braced with diagonal tie-rods and cross-members. Ornamental lamps on tapering stems are placed over each of the supports. Those on the south side bear the names of the engineers, the date 1868 and the foundry mark of 'Hamilton & Windsor Ironworks Liverpool Contractor'; those on north side have been renewed. Wooden planks and back rest to benches running the full length of the pier now sport legion brass plaques to contributors towards restoration. Pier head at north-west end is substantially wider than the pier, and is supported by cast iron columns (replacing earlier wooden structure). It has three cast iron and glass shelters, the central one of two storeys comprising a pagoda-roofed super-structure over the steps to the landing stage below; cast iron stair leads to room at first floor level with outer walkway carried on columns; convex roof terminates with a weathervane. The ornamental cast iron structures, incorporating anchor motifs to the cresting at eaves level, bear the foundry mark of McDowell Steven & Co, Glasgow. DESCRIPTION OF TOLL HOUSE: Scottish baronial in style. Narrow rectangular plan with tower and projecting spur to south side, standing on raised rock-faced foundation. Mainly two-light windows with stone transoms. Entrances on north side within moulded frames, the landward one with a pyramidal slate-tiled roof, that nearest the pier beneath a corbelled stack; roll moulded strings at first floor and eaves levels; castellated parapet. Interior: much altered, now used as a shop and gallery. Originally built as the toll keeper's house. ANCILLARY FEATURES: wrought iron gates set between ornamental cast iron piers with globe lanterns and twisted bases; side gateways; run of railings on north side on stone kerb. HISTORY: erected for the Clevedon Pier Company, this pier was opened on Easter Monday 1869 and intended to serve steamers bound for South Wales. The opening of the Severn Tunnel in 1886 reduced this traffic, but the aggrandisement of the pier head was proceeded with nonetheless. The pier's outermost two spans collapsed during routine testing in 1970, leaving the pierhead and structures marooned. Having survived an attempt to demolish the pier, it was saved by a dedicated trust and finally re-opened in toto, after near-total dismantling, in 1999, when the project was awarded a Civic Trust award. Niall Phillips was architect for the Clevedon Pier and Heritage Trust. This pier is of outstanding importance for its delicate engineering and the relationship of pier to landward buildings, which creates an exceptionally picturesque ensemble.

The pier and toll house, together with the Royal Pier Hotel, the Fountain and Nos.19 and 20 Alexandra Road, form a group.

SOURCES: Simon H. Adamson, 'Seaside Piers' (1977), 112; Keith Mallory, 'Clevedon Pier' (1981); Nigel Coombes, 'Striding Boldly. The Story of Clevedon Pier' (1995); Timothy J. Mickleburgh, 'Guide to British Piers' (3rd ed. 1998), 31.



Listing NGR: ST4007471946

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33103
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Adamson, S H , Seaside Piers, (1977), 112
Coombes, N, Striding Boldly. The Story of Clevedon Pier, (1995), 1995
Mallory, K, Clevedon Pier, (1981)
Mickleburgh, T J, Guide to British Piers. 3rd edition., (1998), 31

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01372/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].