This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Former Coal Shed and Stores at Clevedon Pumping Station

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Former Coal Shed and Stores at Clevedon Pumping Station

List entry Number: 1129716

Location

Tickenham Road, Clevedon, North Somerset

The listed building is shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Clevedon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Aug-1982

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Mar-2015

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33169

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Former coal shed and stores, now stores. Built in 1901. Designed by Henry Dare Bryan in the Domestic Revival style for the Clevedon Waterworks Company. Not included in the listing is the single-storey, late C20 garage to the north side of the principal building.

Reasons for Designation

The former coal shed and stores at Clevedon pumping station built in 1901 and designed by the architect Henry Dare Bryan is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural interest: designed by the distinguished Bristol architect, Henry Dare Bryan in the Arts and Crafts style, it is a good composition in a style that unifies the building with the former foreman’s lodge; * Intactness: it survives largely unaltered; * Group value: it forms part of a complete ensemble of related buildings and structures at Clevedon pumping station which are all listed at Grade II.

History

Sir Arthur Hallam Elton (1818-83), 7th Baronet of Clevedon Court, was responsible for much of the civic work in Clevedon, and was a leading figure in the establishment of the Clevedon Waterworks Company in 1863. As a consequence, Clevedon’s first water and sewage works were completed in 1867 with a pumping station on Old Street and reservoirs to the north on Dial Hill. In the late C19, due to the growing popularity of Clevedon as both a resort and a place to live, the waterworks could no longer meet demand, and in 1901 a new pumping station was created on Tickenham Road, approximately 2km to the north-east. The old pumping station became the fire station.

The engineer, James Mansergh (1834-1905) was initially employed to design the pumping station, located approximately 500 metres to the east of Clevedon Court. Mansergh was a civil engineer who started his career in railway works but then designed a number of sewerage and fresh water schemes. However, Sir Edmund Elton, 8th Baronet of the neighbouring Clevedon Court was not happy with the proposals and the Bristol architect, Henry Dare Bryan (1868-1909) was brought in by the Clevedon Waterworks Company to enhance the design of the buildings which comprised the pumping station, coal shed and store, foreman’s lodge and associated boundary wall and gatepiers.

The Clevedon Waterworks Company was taken over by the Bristol Waterworks Company, now known as Bristol Water, in 1953. The site remains operational.

Details

Former coal shed and stores, now stores. Built in 1901. Designed by Henry Dare Bryan in the Domestic Revival style for the Clevedon Waterworks Company. Not included in the listing is the single-storey, late C20 garage to the north side of the principal building.

MATERIALS: built of squared and coursed Pennant rubble stone with ashlar dressings under a plain clay tile cross-gabled roof.

PLAN: roughly T-shaped plan.

EXTERIOR: single-storey building with gabled roof and deep, overhanging eaves and a continuous ashlar plat band. The principal elevation (east) has close-studded timber to the gable, with a heart-shaped pendant to the apex. Below is a wide carriage entrance with battered clasping buttresses to the corners. Set-back and attached to the left-hand side are two ancillary rooms. The room to the left has a pair of timber plank doors within a timber door surround and a three-light fanlight above. The timber plank door to the right has an ashlar door surround. The side (south) elevation of the principal range has a gabled dormer window with four-light timber mullion window with leaded lights. This is repeated to the north elevation. To the roof is an axial timber roof lantern with louvered sides and a leaded pinnacle with ball finial.

INTERIOR: the principal room has brick walls and a scissor-braced roof.

Selected Sources

Other
Bristol Waterworks Company, 'Clevedon pumping station and treatment works'

National Grid Reference: ST4293671669

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129716 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:24:51.

End of official listing