CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1129822

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET, CHELVEY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129822 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 13:34:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET, CHELVEY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brockley

National Grid Reference: ST 46618 68367

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 46 NE BROCKLEY CHELVEY (north side)

6/51 CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET 11.10.61 G.V. I

Parish Church (Anglican). C12, altered c. 1300 (chancel), C14 and C15. West tower, nave, south aisle and chapel, south porch, chancel. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings, ashlar porch; slate roofs with coped raised verges. West tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses; pierced parapet of trefoils within triangles, corner pinnacles; 2-light bellchamber openings with cusped tracery; 3-light Perpendicular style west window and west door in moulded surround and under plain hoodmould; projecting polygonal stair tower on a square base to the north-east. Nave has two 3-light Perpendicular style windows (restored) with cusped tracery; central buttress with off-sets. Chancel has two single light cusped lancet windows; the east window is similar to the nave windows. South aisle and chapel: the east and 3 south windows are all 2-light, early Perpendicular style windows with plain ogee heads to the lights. The south porch is slightly set back behind the south aisle: diagonal buttress with off-sets; blank arcaded parapet; double wave moulding to the outer door; possibly reset C12 window on west wall. South doorway is mid C12: single columns with scalloped capitals, inner roll-moulding and thick roll-moulded arched; stoup to right with cusped ogee head. Interior. Tower arch of 2 wave moulding. The chancel is marked by a projection inwards of the north wall. Blocked north door with a chamfered surround and a depressed 2-centred arch. 2 bay arcade to south aisle and a smaller bay to the south chapel; the piers have alternating columns and wave mouldings; 4-centred arches. Chancel: the north windows have deep embrasures; the reredos is C19 but the frame is late C15 or C16, rectangular, decorated with fleurons and a crested top, the centre of which forms a canopy which rises above the window sill; flanking, plain, square-headed image niches; stone dado of the rood screen survives with a mortised sill beam for the screen. South aisle; ribbed and panelled roof with moulded wall- plates; rectangular, moulded surround to an inset for a reredos; flanking cusped ogee-headed image niches; piscina with cusped ogee head; 3 recessed niches in south wall with cusped and crocketted ogee canopies and blank arcaded bases. Pulpit: C19, wooden polygonal top on an ashlar base; behind is a blocked, chamfered doorway (probably to a missing or hidden rood stair). Font: probably C12 but recut; ashlar, octagonal bowl on an octagonal stem; C17 top. Pews: the front of the south nave pews is dated 1621/W.G. (William Gregory, Rector), panelled with a foliage frieze; the south chapel has 7 coarsely cut mediaeval benches, some retaining lozenge-shaped poppy heads and at the west end is the Tynte family pew, Jacobean, a panelled front with a foliage frieze and urn finials, the door has double S-shaped hinges, a high back with blank arcading, an enriched frieze and a moulded cornice; 4 further coarsely cut mediaeval benches to west end of south side of nave; wall painting, on the north chancel wall, of a ragged cross with a circle. Glass. Nave, north side; late C15 reversed pane of glass bearing arms; fragments of C14 yellow glass as symbols of the Evangelists. Chancel, east window; 013 and C15 fragments, including the head of Christ and a tonsured head of a male saint with roses, crowns and borderwork. South aisle; several sun roundels. Monument: incised Purbeck slab to a knight, reset in the south chapel, probably 1250-1270. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958. C. Woodforde, The Stained Glass of Somerset, 1250-1830; 1946).

Listing NGR: ST4661868369

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33443

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Woodforde, C , Stained Glass of Somerset 1250-1830, (1946)

End of official listing