CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1129826
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129826.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 00:06:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Easton-in-Gordano
National Grid Reference:
ST 51425 75746

Details

ST 57 NW EASTON-IN-GORDANO CHURCH ROAD (south-east side)

2/59 CHURCH OF ST GEORGE 11.10.61 - II*

Parish Church (Anglican). C14 and C15, mostly rebuilt and restored in 1871-72 by Ewan Christian (replacing a church of 1827 by Edward Bridges). West tower, nave with clerestorey, north and south aisle, south porch, chancel and vestry. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate roofs behind embattled parapets. An unusual west tower of 3 stages with set-back buttresses; embattled parapet with blank arcading and an image niche in the centre of each side, pinnacles; 2-light bell chamber openings with ogee heads to the tracery; 2-light windows on second stage have transoms and ogee heads to the lights, tracery of small quatrefoiled circles in spandrels to lower lights and louvres to upper lights; projecting polygonal stair turret at north-east, blank arcading, embattled parapet and spire. Nave: three 2-light windows with cusped heads to the lights. North and south aisles: 2- and 3-light windows with thin tracery; rainwater heads dated 1871; lean to roofs. Projecting gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses. Interior. 3 bay arcade with hollow chamfered arches and octagonal shafts. C14 tower arch of 4 chamfered orders on a semi-octagonal responds; ogee headed doorway to stair turret on north pier. All fittings are 1871-72. Font, pulpit and reredos are of elaborately detailed marble with figure scenes on the pulpit and reredos. Monuments. Chancel: Roger Soudon, died 1703, ashlar, Corinthian columns on gadrooned bases, half-relief of Soudon in clerical dress, cherubs and skull below; Thomas Morgan, died 1723, marble and ashlar, fluted columns and heraldry. Tower: Mary Morgan, died 1710, baroque, ashlar, 2 Corinthian columns on grotesque corbels, segmental pediment and heraldry; Mary Morgan, died 1701). North aisle: Cordelia Wilkins, died 1774, by Allen of Bristol, marble inscribed tablet, urn and heraldry. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5142575746

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33455
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03624/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].