This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

List entry Number: 1130116

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN, BRINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Old Weston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54795

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 0877 OLD WESTON BRINGTON ROAD (East side)

17/76 Parish Church of 28.1.58 St Swithin

II*

Parish church. North doorway c.1200, nave arcades late C13, chancel rebuilt c.1300, mid C14 north and south aisles, south porch and clerestory added, late C14 west tower. East wall of chancel and western walls of north aisle rebuilt in C15. Roofs of nave reconstructed in 1657; the north aisle in 1638, and south aisle in 1785. Restoration in 1895. Walls of coursed Weldon and Ketton rubble limestone and dressed stone with some brick repairs. Leaded and plain tiled roofs. South elevation: West tower faced with rough ashlar, of three stages with weathered plinth and cornice with gargoyles, belfry window of two transomed and trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in the two-centred head. Stair turret in angle with aisle and with small trefoiled lights. Octagonal broached spire formerly with pinnacles above the broaches; with two tiers of spirelights, the lower window with three trefoiled lights and quatrefoil in the gable head. Nave a south aisle with plain parapets. Nave clerestory with four windows each of two trefoiled-ogee-lights in a square head with external reveals. South aisle with late C15 eastern window of three cinquefoiled- lights in a four-centred head and with traceried spandrels in square moulded label, western window mid C14 of two trefoiled-ogee-lights in a square head with moulded label. Late C14 south porch with gabled roof, two-centred archway of two chamfered orders the outer continuous and the inner springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals. Chancel with two similar windows of two lights with Y-tracery. Interior: South doorway to south aisle C14 of two orders, with two-centred arch, door restored with two fleur-de-lis strap hinges. Nave arcades of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with a moulded label; octagonal columns and semi circular responds with moulded capitals and hollow-chamfered bases, (two capitals with nail-head ornament). Tower arch two-centred of three chamfered orders, outer two continuous and inner springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals and hollow-chamfered bases. Doorway to stair turret with chamfered jambs and ogee head. Chancel arch two-centred of two moulded orders with moulded label, outer order continuous and inner order springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals and hollow-chamfered bases, cut for former screen. Piscenae in chancel with hollow-chamfered jambs and trefoiled head early C14, in south aisle with moulded jambs and trefoiled ogee head. Font, C14, octagonal bowl with modern base and stem. Roofs; of nave c.1657 incorporating early material of four, low-pitched bays with cambered tie-beams and short king-posts with curved tie beams, wall posts on C16 corbels with carved grotesque heads; inscription on western tie beam 'R.A. 1657 R.E. church W'; north aisle with moulded timbers and dated tie beam 1638, south aisle c.1785. Wall paintings of note in south aisle, C14 depicting the enthronement of one bishop by two other bishops, the beheading of St John the Baptist and St Margaret and St Catherine with other fragments including a Wheel of Fortune. For monuments and wall slabs see RCHM. Sundial on south-east buttress of south aisle.

RCHM: Huntingdonshire p288 VCH: Huntingdonshire p118 Pevsner: Buildings of England p299 Woodger A: Huntingdonshire Church Towers Archeol J 141 1984

Listing NGR: TL0939577206

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 288
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 118
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 299
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 141, (1984)

National Grid Reference: TL 09395 77206

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130116 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 07:31:08.

End of official listing