PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1130132

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 13:39:44.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Brington and Molesworth

National Grid Reference: TL 07024 75805

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 0675 BRINGTON AND MOLESWORTH MOLESWORTH

20/13 Parish Church of 28.1.58 St Peter

II*

Parish church. Chancel c.1270-80. Nave rebuilt C15 and west tower added late C15. Restoration 1884-5, chancel reconstructed; south porch added 1890. Walls of Weldon limestone rubble and field stones, Ketton and Barnack limestone dressings. Roofs of plain tiles and lead. South elevation: Tower of two stages with chamfered plinth and embattled parapet. Single second stage cinquefoiled-light with moulded label. Nave, with chamfered plinth and projecting parapet and pilaster-strips extended from buttresses; two late C15 windows each of three cinquefoiled lights in four-centred heads with moulded labels. Late C13 south doorway with two-centred arch with one stop-chamfered order and shafted jambs one with a moulded capital and the other carved with oak foliage, both with moulded bases. Chancel with moulded plinth and string course below windows. Two sets of graded lancet-lights with chamfered jambs (similar to north wall though not graded). Priest's doorway with two-centred head has two hollow-chamfered orders with a moulded string, to west a 'low-side' window with a square-head. Interior: Noteworthy wall paintings of St Christopher (RCHM plate 105) and St Anthony. Tower arch, two-centred of two orders, the outer hollow-chamfered and continuous, the inner wave-moulded with semi circular responds and semi-octagonal moulded capitals and moulded bases. Doorway in east wall to roof with two-centred arch in a square head. Blocked C15 north doorway to nave with chamfered jambs and four-centred head. Chancel arch, late C13, two-centred of two chamfered orders, the inner with semi-circular attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases, and with a moulded label to the nave. North and south wall arcades of three bays with two-centred arches and one chamfered order with moulded labels. The arches of the second and third northern bays carried down to seat recesses; the third arch in the south wall has the priest's doorway and 'low-side' window. The early C15 roof of the nave of three 'bays' has moulded and cambered tie beams and short king posts, moulded purlins and ridges. The chancel roof has some reused C14 timbers. Font, early C18, octagonal baluster shaped, with shallow bowl. Piscinae in chancel with circular drain and moulded square head. Pulpit, early C18. Sundial on second buttress of south wall of nave. Fragments of early masonry in north nave wall.

RCHM: Huntingdonshire P182 VCH: Huntingdonshire p21 Pevsner: Buildings of England p294

Listing NGR: TL0702475805

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54732

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 182
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 213
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 294

End of official listing