ABBOTS RIPTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130177

Date first listed: 02-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: ABBOTS RIPTON HALL, HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABBOTS RIPTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130177 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 13:59:03.

Location

Statutory Address: ABBOTS RIPTON HALL, HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Abbots Ripton

National Grid Reference: TL 24078 77859

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 2477 ABBOTS RIPTON HALL LANE

17/4 Abbots Ripton Hall

II

Country house. An earlier house on the site was almost completely rebuilt circa 1800. Extended at north end late C19. Alterations and additions of mid-late C20 by Peter Foster. Local gault brick with some red brick in south-east end. Hipped roof, slate roofs partly obscured by parapet without main cornice. Internal stacks. T-plan formed of an east-west main range at south end and north-south range. Domestic and nursery quarters at north end, and additions on east and west sides. Two storeys and two storeys and attic with plain band between the storeys. South front has a central half-round two storey porch of three window bays. Three twelve pane hung sashes under flat, grey brick arches. The first floor is carried on open Roman Doric portico with double doorway in round headed arch. Flanking the porch at ground floor are four full length casements with shaped wood pelmets and at first floor four hung sashes including a blind opening. The west front is of two storeys at the south end. Similar twelve pane hung sashes to principal storeys, some with wood pelmets, under grey or brown brick flat arches. The Chinese style loggia and treillage work on this front are by Peter Foster. On the east side the doorway has a modern fluted Roman Doric case and above a Venetian window, also modern. The later C19 additions at the north end are of white brick and the parapet has a main cornice. There is a late C19 dove house, at the entry. Brick with reed thatch roof and timber landing stage, also thatched. The main portion of the manor was acquired in 1794 by William Henry Fellowes whose descendant, Lord de Ramsey is now Lord of the Manor. The gardens were designed by Lord and Lady de Ramsey and most of the garden buildings are by Peter Foster. Huntingdon RO: Map 1775 (Acc 208 MD2) Abbots Ripton Hall Estate Office: Map 1623 " VCH: Hunts vol 2 Country-Life: Vol CL V p626



Listing NGR: TL2407877859

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54638

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 155, (), 626
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

End of official listing