This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MILEPOST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MILEPOST

List entry Number: 1130211

Location

MILEPOST, GREAT NORTH ROAD (CENTRAL RESERVATION)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Alconbury Weston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54512

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 17 NE ALCONBURY WESTON GREAT NORTH ROAD (Central Reservation)

49/4/30 Milepost

II*

Milepost. C. 1770. Coursed squared limestone. Square plan. EXTERIOR: double stepped plinth course and overhanging moulded cornice to cap. Ball finial on baluster plinth replaced 1982. Inscriptions on north and west faces, each with shallow sunk pointing hands. North face inscription: `To London 64 miles/ through Huntingdon/ Royston & Ware/ To Huntingdon 15 miles/ To London 72 miles/ through Cambridge/ To Cambridge 21 miles/ To Stilton 7 miles' West face inscription: `To London 68 miles/ through Buckden/ Biggleswade & Hatfield/ To Buckden 7 miles/ To Stilton 7 miles' RAILINGS: low railings on all 4 sides. Wrought-iron. Circular section verticals with spear-head finials pass through plain-section top rail. Sited at junction of Great North Road (A1) at junction with Ermine Street. The milepost was moved to central reservation 1955 when dual-carriageway was built, and now stands on west side of the old south-bound carriageway (road widened to west 1998).

Listing NGR: TL1863078130

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 205

National Grid Reference: TL 18630 78130

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130211 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:34:02.

End of official listing