PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1130279
Date first listed:
14-May-1959
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130279.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Apr-2021 at 06:02:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Paxton
National Grid Reference:
TL 18902 62760

Details

LITTLE PAXTON HIGH STREET TL 16 SE (SOUTH SIDE) 3/17 PARISH CHURCH 14. 5.59 OF ST JAMES GV II*

Late C12 parish church of which the chancel remains almost intact with evidence of early window openings in East and South walls, and two almost complete doorways, one reset in the early C16 South aisle wall. North wall of nave is said to have been demolished in the mid C17 and was rebuilt in 1849 when the Church was completely restored. Built into the lower courses of the North wall are some C12 carved stones. West tower c1400, South arcade and aisle c1500, rebuilt in C19. North porch rebuilt in 1849. Walls of pebble rubble, ironstone and limestone dressings. Roofs of tiles and slates. South elevation; West tower of three stages has a chamfered plinth and embattled parapet with grotesque gargoyles at the angles. Belfrey window converted to two plain lights with a wooden lintel. South aisle has three modern two-light windows. The C12 door is reset and has a fine carved tympanum with a figure of the Good Shepherd, a large cross enclosed in a circle, and a wolf and a lamb. Two chancel windows of C14 and C15; and one 'low-side' C15 window to West of C12 chancel doorway with shouldered corbels. Interior: partly restored C12 chancel arch of one plain square order, and responds each with one attached shaft. Tower-arch of clunch, two-centred, with two moulded orders, semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals. C16 arcade reconstructed in 1849 of four bays with segmental-pointed arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and chamfered basis. Font with plain octagonal bowl on central chamfered shaft with three small octagonal shafts, C13. Font cover of painted oak C17. Monument to Robert Throckmorton 1698-9. R.C.H.M. (Hunts), p201 V.C.H. (Hunts), p332 Pevsner, Buildings of England, p286

Listing NGR: TL1890262760

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
54374
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 201
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 332
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 286

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/02585/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.J Stacey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].