CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1130281
Date first listed:
14-May-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130281.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 12:00:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Offord Cluny and Offord D'Arcy
National Grid Reference:
TL 21855 67042

Details

OFFORD CLUNY HIGH STREET TL 2167 (WEST SIDE) CHURCH OF ALL 6/2 SAINTS 14. 5.59 GV II*

The North and South arcades, and the chancel arch remain of the C13 church which was added to and altered in C15 and C16. In 1726 the chancel was rebuilt. The South porch is C19. C15 West tower of pebblestone and Barnack dressings. Three stages with embattled parapet, diagonal buttressing and splayed plinth. C16 newel staircase turret of brick at South West angle. Beast gargoyles to centre of each side of main cornice. C15 doorway, West window and two light bell chamber openings. All with moulded labels and mask and beast stops. Small quatrefoil openings to each wall of second stage. Parapetted nave of pebblestone with Barnack stone dressings and gault brick repairs. Each side of clerestorey has three windows, each of three cinquefoil lights: Similar, larger windows in South aisle. South porch dated 1851 on gable end. Pebblestone with stone dressings. Chancel, dated 1726 on gable end. Red brick with Barnack dressings. C19 plain tiled roof with end parapet and eaves cornice. Two windows, each of two cinquefoil lights to South wall. Interior: C15 tower arch. Two-centred arch of two chamfered orders. The splayed responds have attached shafts with half-octagonal capitals supporting wave-moulded arch. C13 North arcade of three bays. Two centred arches of two hollow-chamfered orders on cylindrical columns with moulded bases and octagonal capitals. South arcade C13 and also of three bays. Plain chamfered two centred arches on octagonal columns and capitals. Octagonal bases and plinths. The roof of the nave and South aisle are C16. In the South aisle the wall plate is chamfered and stopped and the principal rafters and longitudinal timbers moulded. The jackposts to the principals are original. In the nave the tie beams are cambered and are carried on original jackposts. The intermediate principals have figures carved to soffits. The C13 chancel arch is similar to the North arcade. The 1726 chancel was remodelled internally in C19 but retains a mid-C18 communion rail. The early C17 hexagonal pulpit has arcaded panelling in two tiers but the steps, stem and plinth are modern. The lectern also incorporates early C17 panels. R.C.H.M. (Hunts), p186, mon.1 Pevsner (Buildings of England), p298

Listing NGR: TL2185567042

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
54378
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 186
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 298

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02764/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JM Webber. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].