PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1130422
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1990
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, HEATH ROAD SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130422 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 14:04:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, HEATH ROAD SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Halton (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 50881 80490

Details

The following building shall be added:

SJ 58 SW WESTON Heath Road South 5/112 Parish Church of St John the Evangelist II* Parish Church. 1896-7 by John Douglas. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roofs, stone slab to spire. W steeple, nave, S porch, narrow N aisle, storeyed chancel built over vestries, N organ chamber.

Exterior: Steeple tower with 2 massive W buttresses with set-offs, shallow buttresses to the S breaking through nave roof. 2-light W window under hood-mould; stubby broach spire with gabled 2-light bellfry openings to cardinal points, the sills brought down below level of spire eaves. Nave wraps around tower; single lancet to W wall. Groups of flush lancet to S wall, also to N aisle which is contained under catslide roof and stops short of W end of nave. Porch approached by steps with retaining walls; prominent gable coping and apex cross; 2-centred moulded arch under hood- mould. Chancel: storeyed and much higher than nave with single tall lancets to side walls (paired to sanctuary), and shouldered paired lancets to vestry below. E window triple lancet under hood-mould; 2 lancets set low to vestry. Organ chamber-simply treated with tall chimney stack at junction with chancel. Interior. 4-bay nave; windows in deep reveals; 3 arches at W end define baptistry, that to the centre taller than the others. Roof: side purlin with braced collars to principals; wind braces. The N aisle con- struction is original and striking: arcade posts and plate (the latter with inscription), with straight braces, tie stub with straight brace from post to principal; ashlar pieces. Raised chancel with 2-centred moulded arch; arched-brace boarded roof. Fittings: choir stall robust, open fronted, each bay with central turned baluster; polygonal stone pulpit with Cruci- fixion panel; octagonal font, stone; organ (1898) by Alexander Fry; glass by Percy Bacon Brothers.

A bold and original design; the church occupies a very exposed site. It was financed in part by subscriptions raised world-wide by choirboys and became known as the 'Choirboys' Church'. It is similar in design to Douglas's church at Maentwrog (Merioneth) and was illustrated in the Architect (64, 1900, p.248).

Listing NGR: SJ5088180490

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
56069
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Architect' in The Architect, , Vol. 64, (1900), 248

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/13095/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Byrne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].