HOCKENHULL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1130525
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
HOCKENHULL HALL, HOCKENHULL LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130525.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 00:35:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOCKENHULL HALL, HOCKENHULL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hockenhull
National Grid Reference:
SJ 48394 66108

Details

SJ 46 NE HOCKENHULL C.P. HOCKENHULL LANE 4839 6611

2/31 Hockenhull Hall.

22/10/1952 II*

Formerly manor house, now house and 2 flats: late C17, completely remodelled c1715 probably by Francis Smith (attribution A Gomme) for Hugh Wishaw of Chester. White-pointed Flemish bond (some earlier English bond) brickwork with buff sandstone dressings. Hipped Welsh slate roof and stone-coped chimneys. Square in plan with 2 main facades, 2-storey over basement symmetrical 9-bay (2:2:1:2:2) south front. Moulded plinth, clasping plain Ionic pilasters to corners, projecting eaves. End pair of bays project forward slightly. Tall sash windows of 5 by 3 panes in simple moulded stone architraves with fluted keyblocks. Central bay has 5 semi-circular steps to doorcase with fluted Ionic pilasters and segmental pediment. Glazed pair of doors in bolection moulded architrave with key block. 2-storey, 6-bay east front has plain facade within end pilasters and similar windows. 2nd bay has an added detached composition stone gabled porch on plain piers over access to basement. Simple architrave to 6-panelled door with fanlight and vertical glazing bars. 2-storey, 8-bay west front has bands at 1st and 2nd floor with similar openings to 5 bays to the right, but left 3 bays show C17 fabric with added plinth, rusticated quoins and bands. Interior: Entrance into a large hall with saloon to the left, passage and staircase to the right. Saloon has fielded panelling. Open well oak staircase with square newels, moulded handrail and turned balusters. Semi-circular archway over the passage has panelled reveals. Some rooms upstairs have C17 heavy chamfered beams, one with quirk stops. Fielded 6-panelled doors throughout. Some C18 fittings have been added to the house over the last 30 years. Extensive cellars in the basement.

Listing NGR: SJ4839466108

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
55735
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].