THE OLD PRINTING HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1130593

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Aug-1985

Statutory Address: THE OLD PRINTING HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD PRINTING HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130593 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 14:53:36.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD PRINTING HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Malpas

National Grid Reference: SJ 48675 47156

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MALPAS C.P. CHURCH STREET SJ 44 NE (South Side) 2/48 The Old Printing House. (formerlylisted as The Printing Works and House adjoining The Printing Works) 22/10/1952 GV II* House, 1733, of Flemish bond brown brick, partly on a bedrock plinth, with graded grey slate roof. Of 2 storeys and 3 windows, a symmetrical front altered by insertion of shop window and door, C19. The centrepiece has a pediment gable of moulded brick, on brick pilasters. House door of 6 fielded panels, with square fanlight having ornate cast-iron bars (2 concentric circles with 2 concentric semi-circles to each side) under a small dentilled pediment of brick. Right of door a flush 12-pane sash under basket arch with projecting key, of brick. C19 shop window, slightly larger than former sash, but with basket arch unaltered, in left wing has 20 small panes above a row of 3 larger panes. Between house door and shop window a small inserted C19 door has 16 panes (including margin panes) above 2 flush panels. A flight of 4 stone steps to each door. Upper storey has 3 flush 12-pane sashes under gauged brick heads with projecting brick keys. Under the pediment a stone carries the Cholmondeley griffin in relief and the date 1733. The rear has altered openings to lower storey and 3 leaded cross-casements under gauged brick heads to upper storey. Interior: Rock-cut brick-lined cellars have brick barrel-vaults. 2-panel doors of oak to principal rooms. Corner fireplaces; that to upper storey left room has early C19 cast iron grate. Lower storey front room, left, has simple cyma plaster cornice. Chamfered oak beams; oak joists. Good oak stair, 1 flight per storey, to upper floor and to attic, has shaped newels and rail and 2 turned balusters per step. Simple roof structure of oak has purlins carried on cross-walls and ridge supported on struts from spine wall. An unusual Classical treatment of a small building.

Listing NGR: SJ4867547156

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55591

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing