CHAPEL OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1130605
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST CHAD, CHESTER ROAD, A41

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130605.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:38:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST CHAD, CHESTER ROAD, A41

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tushingham cum Grindley
National Grid Reference:
SJ 52750 46283

Details

TUSHINGHAM CUM GRINDLEY C.P. CHESTER ROAD A41 SJ 54 NW (East of) 3/80 CHAPEL OF ST CHAD 1/3/1967 GV I

Chapel of ease, now chapel, rebuilt 1689-91 in irregular Flemish bond brown brickwork with graded grey slate roof. West tower; external stair to west gallery; 3-bay aisleless chapel, furnished as nave and chancel. Small pyramid-roofed tower has a replaced west door of oak, loophole above door, plain band at belfry floor, paired camber-headed bell-openings and weathercock. Southern verge of nave roof is flush with west face of tower; west end of nave modified, probably in 1822 to accommodate external flight of 10 stone steps to Vawdrey gallery. Vestry, projecting south from west bay of nave, has 2-light wooden Gothick window with rectangular leaded panes in recessed basket-arched openings. East of vestry 2 replaced 3-light rectangular wooden windows have leaded glazing, interlaced at heads of centre lights. Chancel bay has similar window, but no interlacing. Pair of round-arched east windows have inserted stained glass. North side has 3 windows all with interlaced leads in central lights. Triangular buttresses; coped gables have kneelers with ball finials. Interior: Oak Vawdrey gallery at west end has octagonal central panel decorated with a rose, with 2 rectangular panels to each side. Continuous nave and chancel has quarry-tile floor to central aisle, laid diagonally. Oak trusses on corbel-brackets have a king-post between tie beam and collar with 5 rectangular panels to each side decorated with a quadrant brace at each corner with a diamond and 4 darts at centre; between these panels and the principal rafters are 2 triangular panels, each decorated with a quadrant and a dart. Oak chancel screen of shaped splat balusters above a row of panels. Plain panelled pulpit; communion table with a high-backed family box pew to each side; simple nave pews with seat and back each of one oak board and round-topped ends to aisle; font in vestry. All furnishings of oak; a most satisfying late C17 interior. Tablets: Mary Stephens died 1800; Mary Vawdrey died 1822; John Murhall died 1834; Thomas Vernon died 1835. Framed Arms of George III. On north wall a board inscribed: This Chappel was Rebuilt by those worthy and well-disposed Benefactors Mr John Dod Mercer and Citizen of London by his last Will & Testament left 50:0:0: Mr John Bostock Senior of Macefaen gave 2:0:0: Mr William Darwell of Chester 1:0:0: Mr Thomas Brereton of Barnhill left by will 10:0:0: the interest of which is to be laid out for the repairs of this Chappel for ever: Mr Thomas Dod of Tushingham gave 5:0:0.

Listing NGR: SJ5275046283

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
55623
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03178/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Veronica Barraclough. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].