CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130713

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130713 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 17:45:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ansty

National Grid Reference: ST 95652 26298

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 92 NE ANSTY ANSTY VILLAGE (west side)

3/34 Church of St. James

6.1.66

GV II

Anglican parish church. C13, restored 1842, 1878, 1917 and 1965. Dressed limestone, tiled roof. Cruciform plan; the transepts are C19 rebuilds. North transept has chamfered pointed doorway with hoodmould and double doors, group of three stepped lancets with hoodmould over, coped verge. Nave to right has pair of lancets, west end has diagonal buttresses and three stepped lancets with hoodmould, small stone bellcote with cross finial to gable. South side of nave has pair of lancets. South transept has Tudor-arched doorway to west, three stepped lancets to south. Attached in angle between chancel and transept is flat-roofed vestry of 1878 with chamfered doorcase. Chancel has pair of lancets to north and south sides and group of three to east end. Interior: Plain plastered walls and renewed roofs in nave and transepts date from restoration of 1965. Chamfered pointed arches on broad octagonal half-shafts to chancel and transepts. Chancel has plastered wagon roof, late C17 bench ends with well-carved foliage, said to come from Seth Ward's stalls at Salisbury Cathedral. Good late C19 stained glass in east window. Cylindrical stone font with stylised drop ornament, in north transept. South chapel has pair of good late C18 wall tablets; limestone and marble tablet to William Best died 1794 with fluting, broken segmental pediment with urn and scrolled apron, a similar tablet on opposite wall to Bridgette Lambert died 1792 with pediment and fluted pilasters. (Kelly's Directory, Wiltshire 1880; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975; P.W. Preston, By and its Crusader Church, 1980).

Listing NGR: ST9565226298

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 320260

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Preston, P W, Anstey and its Crusader Church, (1980)
'Kellys Directory' in Wiltshire, (1880)

End of official listing