CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1130720
Date first listed:
06-Jan-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, LUKE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130720.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:49:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, LUKE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Berwick St. John
National Grid Reference:
ST 94606 22354

Details

ST 92 SW 507/5/49 06.01.66

BERWICK ST JOHN LUKE STREET (North side) Church of St John

GV II

Anglican parish church. C14, 1861 restoration by H.Woodyer. Dressed limestone, tiled roof. Cruciform plan, north-east vestry. C19 pointed double-chamfered arch to north doorway, double doors, nave to left has cusped lancet, 2-light pointed window with geometric tracery to right. North transept has 3-light window with reticulated tracery, diagonal buttresses and coped verges. C19 vestry to north side of chancel has group of four cusped lancets and pointed chamfered doorway, rainwater head dated 1861. East end of chancel has 4-light geometric-style window with hoodmould with carved head terminals, diagonal buttresses, south side of chancel has 2-light geometric window, south chapel has 2-light geometric window to east, pointed door and cusped lancet to south. South transept has 3-light geometric window with hoodmould and carved head terminals, dated rainwater heads. Covered stairs to tower have shouldered chamfered doorway and three arrow loops, in angle between nave and south transept. South side of nave has double chamfered pointed doorway, two 2-light geometric-style windows and one cusped lancet. West end has 3-light window with geometric tracery, diagonal buttresses and coped verges. C14 crossing tower has angle buttresses, 2 stages over nave with string courses. 3-light Tudor-arched window to each face with decorative pierced louvres, carved battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles and rainwater spouts. INTERIOR: nave has 3-bay C19 arch-braced collar roof, with windbraced purlins. Chancel and nave arches are double-ovolo-moulded, transepts have double-chamfered arches. Transepts have pointed wood-panelled barrel-vaulted roofs. Chancel has ogee piscina on north wall, pair of double hollow-chamfered arches to south organ chamber and north vestry and chapel. South transept has cusped piscina, large free-standing cusped arch over recumbent knight; Sir John Hussey, C13, classical marble tablet to Samuel Foot, died 1792, signed by R.Earlsman of Salisbury. Nave and chancel fittings such as pews, limestone octagonal font at west end, date from 1861, wooden pulpit with traceried panels of 1911. North transept has C19 free-standing arch with C15 recumbent knight; Sir Robert Lucy, six hatchments on wall, tablet with arms to Grove family of Ferne House, date is 1758, signed by Osmond of Sarum. North chapel has marble tablet to Rev. Peregrine Bingham, died 1826, signed by T. King of Bath. Some good late C19 stained glass in chancel, south transept and west window, attributed to Hardman. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975.)

Listing NGR: ST9460622354

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320275
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03182/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Letcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].