This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

KINGSLEY HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KINGSLEY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1130940

Location

KINGSLEY HOUSE, KIRKGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Middleham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 321666

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 18 NW MIDDLEHAM KIRKGATE (west side) 9/102 Kingsley House 15.2.67 GV II

Rectory, then Deanery, now house. Medieval, probably C17 and 1752. Part rendered, part rubble, stone slate roofs. 2 storeys, in 3 ranges. Central range of medieval origin, perhaps a single-storey hall plan, with entry into passage behind fireplace. Rendered, 2-bay, south elevation: on ground floor, doorway with pointed arch. roll moulding on chamfers, head stops to label; to its left a sash window. On first floor early C18 6-pane sash windows. Shaped kneelers and ashlar coping to left, ridge stack between bays one and 2. In rear corner, 2 similar medieval doorways. West range, probably of C17 date. Rendered, east elevation: one ground floor and 2 first-floor 6-pane sash windows. Shaped kneeleer left, ashlar copings, central ridge stack. Eastern range, said to be of 1752 but looks older. Rubble, east elevation: 3 bays. Plinth, quoins. Central part-glazed door in moulded stone surround on plinths with pulvinated frieze and pediment. Ground floor: sash windows with glazing bars in moulded stone surrounds. First floor: sash windows in eared and shouldered moulded surrounds. Dentilled cornice. Hipped roof, corniced ashlar stacks between bays one and 2, 2 and 3. North side: added C19. bay window and C19 2-storey range with canted bays to north. Interior: east range has good mid-C18 staircase. The medieval rectory became the deanery of the collegiate body to which Midddleham church was elevated in 1477 by Richard, Duke of Gloucester, later Richard III. The college lapsed, then was re-established as a chapter in 1814, when one of the canons was the writer, Charles Kingsley, hence the present name. J M Melhuish, The College of King Richard III, Middleham, 1983.

Listing NGR: SE1269787898

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Melhuish, JM, The College of King Richard III Middleham, (1983)

National Grid Reference: SE 12697 87898

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130940 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 06:00:28.

End of official listing