This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1131017

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Durrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 321456

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DURRINGTON CHURCH STREET SU 14 SE (south side)

6/145 Church of All Saints 18.2.58 II* Anglican parish church. C12, C15 and 1851 by J.W. Hugall of Pontefract. Flint with limestone quoins and dressings, tiled roofs, but lead to south aisle. C12 nave with C19 north and south aisles, a C13 chancel, C15 west tower and vestry chapel of 1973. Aisles have pilaster buttresses and round headed lancets. C12 south doorcase reset, a roll moulded arch on capitals with leaf mouldings, and scale carving in gable. Two-light east window to north aisle with quatrefoil roundel over, and shouldered east doorways. Fragments of earlier work reset in C19 walls, including two stepped crosses. Chancel has lancets, triple to east. West tower is of flint and limestone chequerwork, two stages, angle buttresses and plain parapet with corner pinnacles. West door in square headed casement moulded frame and three-light window over with panelled reveals, the tracery renewed. Single openings to upper stages. Vestry is of sawn ashlar, with shallow wall arcade. Bronze benchmark. Interior: Nave of 3 bays. South arcade, late C12, of banded green and white stones. Round chamfered arches on round columns, one scalloped capital. North arcade is C19, probably a rebuild, in Early English style. Tall panelled tower arch. Open C19 rafter roof. Chancel arch also C19, with large foliage carved corbels. Chancel is of 2 bays. Stone flagged. Carved arch-braced trusses on C19 angel corbels. Columns to east window. South aisle has a broken piscina. Fittings: C19 font, neo-Norman, with columns and corners. Freestanding C17 carved pulpit with carved evangelists with unusual attributes. Bookstand. Part of a C17 carved screen behind the organ, dated 1634 carved with mantled arms, and a door. Similar panelling to nave and south aisle pews remade in C19. Readers' desk.has reset C17 carved figures of Faith, Hope, with anchor, and Charity with 2 children. Streetland organ in oak case. Glass: Mid C19 glass to north aisle. Monuments: In chancel, 9 wall tablets: north wall: (a) White marble on grey, to George Moore, died 1920, (b) Elizabeth Moore, died 1825, arms and putto over. (c) Jonathan Moore, son, died 1818. shaped pediment with urns. (d) Elizabeth Moore, daughter, died 1852. Scalloped frieze. (e) Thomas Moore, son, died 1841, pedimented, by Osmund of Sarum. South side: (f) Major Robert Poore, founder of the Winterslow Land Holdings, and Land Court, in 1892, died 1918, by Maile of London. (g) Tablet with frame, entablature and apron with mantled crest, to Hestor Conham, died 1643, freestanding arms over. (h) White marble on grey. A sarcophagus with fluted sides To George Moore, died 1884, by Osmund. (i) Charles Snelling Ruddle, rural dean, died 1910. South aisle: White marble tablet on grey, to Sarah Fowle of Chute Lodge, died 1901. Brass with rhyme, 1633, to John Poore, a child aged 3. Furniture: C17 Altar table with framed end and baluster legs. C17 cane-backed chair, and one coffin stool. (Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire)

Listing NGR: SU1570744860

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SU 15701 44861

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131017 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 01:09:39.

End of official listing