Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1131034

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1958



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131034 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 18:55:46.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bulford

National Grid Reference: SU 16580 43721


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/87 Church of St Leonard 18.12.58 I Anglican parish church. Late C12, C13, altered C14 and C16, and chapel added early C19. Roughcast on mixed Chilmark and Tisbury stone. Tower of flint and stone. Tiled roofs. Late C12 nave and chancel, tower central to south side of nave added probably in C13. Chapel forms north wing, and C20 amenities added to gable end. Nave has one 2-light C14 window and a rectangular C16 light in earlier opening. Blocked north door. Chancel has late C12 corbel table and single ogee-headed windows, a lancet and 2-light window on north. C15 three-light east window, the tracery renewed. Three-light west window. Short and massive tower with large south buttresses. Lancet window on west and 2 bell opening. Pyramidal tiled roof. East and west sides partly rebuilt, probably in C18. Entrance in south side of tower, C14 jambs with C16 moulded semi- circular arch with keystone. Inner door to nave early C13, with bowtell arch and nookshafts with stiff-leaf foliage. Interior: Nave plastered, and flagged floor. C12 embrasure to north window, C13 embrasures to all south windows. Small C12 chancel arch with ovolo moulding to arrises, the hoodmoulding cut away. Cinquefoil headed shallow altar niche to right and triangular headed inner arch to blocked north door. Roof of 4 bays with half bays at ends, probably C15. Tie-beams, queen struts to principal rafters and high collars. Rafters and ashlars exposed. Corbels for earlier roof on north side. Blocked opening, perhaps to former parvise in tower. Large pointed arch to north chapel, called Camilla Hall. Chancel has three C12 round-headed splayed window embrasures and jamb of contemporary east window. North east window probably altered post-Reformation. East window has panelled reveals with ogee-headed niches for figures. Trefoiled piscina. Mid C15 roof of 3 bays; moulded ties, raking struts, single purlins and rafters, and moulded wall plates. Hammer beams against east wall. Blocked squint. Camilla Hall is plastered with flat ceiling. Pointed headed single light window, 3 to each side. Gallery at north end with panelled front, now built in to later screen and cupboards. Door in gable end leads to kitchen and WCs of c1984. Wall paintings: Extensive but poorly preserved C15 paintings on north, east and west walls of nave, including a St Christopher, the east wall overpainted with 3 large panels with Commandments. Red colour on chancel arch. Masonry lining painted on south chancel wall, overpainted with C16-C17 texts. Fittings: Font, at west end of nave, a plain square, raised on C19 columns. Late C17-early C18 fielded panelled over with shaped brackets to centre post. Pulpit at present in Hall. Chancel has fine C17 communion rail with shaped splat balusters. Furniture: A late C17 altar table with doubled stretchers and turned legs. Monuments: In chancel, 4 wall tablets: (a) White marble on grey, drapery and cornice over, and painted arms, to Elizabeth Southby, died 1791. (b) Black panel with white marble scroll, by Underwood, to Anthony Southby, died 1883. (c) White marble tablet by Osmund, to Mary Shaw (Southby) killed in boat massacre at Cawnpore, 1857. Husband added. (d) Gothic arched tablet in limestone, to Edmund Southby, died 1886. In nave, 3 monuments; (a) Wall tablet, white marble, to Luis Sturgess, died 1912, (b) Coloured limestone tablet to Brigadier General Carey, died 1944, and (c) White tablet on streaked grey marble by Sarum Monument Co., to Charles Hodges, died 1918. In Camilla Hall; Grey and white marble tablet. Flanking columns, urn in pediment. To Matthew Devenish, founder of local non-conformist chapel, died 1811, and wife and daughter. Brass: In chancel, a small inscription to Thomas (D)aniell, died 1589, and various C20 brasses. Royal Arms: Over south door, a fine statutory framed royal arms on board, dated 1666, Fear God, Honour the King. Hatchments: Five hatchments (1) Richard Southby, died 1791, (2) Ann, widow of last, died 1795. (3) Mary Southby, (?) died 1835, (4) Richard Southby, died 1791, and (5) Charity Pollen (Southby) died 1830. Miscellanea: In glass case, a Book of Common Prayer, 1613, a Metrical Psalms of 1615, and a Geneva 'Breeches' Bible, printed by Robert Barket, royal printer, 1610, all bound. together later. (Churches of South East Wiltshire. RCHM. 1987)

Listing NGR: SU1658043732


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 321398

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Churches of South East Wiltshire, (1987)

End of official listing