- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- THE PANTHEON
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131102 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 13:09:32.
- Statutory Address:
- THE PANTHEON
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- Stourton with Gasper
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 77059 33916
STOURTON WITH GASPER STOURHEAD GARDENS
ST 73 SE
6/153 The Pantheon
Temple. 1753-54 by Henry Flitcroft for Henry Hoare. Limestone
ashlar. Tetrastyle in antis Corinthian portico, six step
stylobate, flanking semi-circular niches in eared architraves with
pediments, containing lead statues of Bacchus and Venus Callipygos,
probably by John Cheere, modillioned entablature and pediment.
Right returns have empty pedimented niches. Rear of portico
narrows to vestibule with blind external walls, octagonal temple to
rear with blind walls, drum to lead dome, rear wall retains
roofline and corbelled stack of former room containing a stove
from which warm air passed into the temple through a grille.
Portico interior has double doors with six fielded panels in
moulded architrave with pediment leading to vestibule. Vestibule
has semi-circular niches with urns on pedestals, groin vaulted
ceiling, 2 steps up to wrought iron gates by Benjamin Smith of
Westminster in semi-circular arched opening leading to temple.
Circular temple interior has coffered ceiling with frieze of
bucrania and garlands, modillioned cornice, dome top-lit by stained
glass circular window. Walls lined with seven egg and dart moulded
niches, the one opposite the entrance contains Rysbrack's famous
statue of Hercules, 1747, to the left is Rysbrack's Flora, lead
statue of Diana and St Susanna. To the right of Hercules is an
antique marble statue of Livia Augusta as Ceres, Meleager by John
Cheere and Isis, the latter two are plaster. Above the niches and
door are eight plaster relief panels of classical scenes by
Benjamin Carter. The Pantheon was originally called the Temple of
Hercules; it was built for Rysbrack's statue. It is probably the
most important element in the Gardens, providing a focus for vistas
across the lake from different points.
(K. Woodbridge, The Stourhead Landscape, 1982; R. Gunnis, A
Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1951)
Listing NGR: ST7705933918
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953)
Woodbridge, K , The Stourhead Landscape, (1982)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 46 Wiltshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.