This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STOURHEAD HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STOURHEAD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1131104

Location

STOURHEAD HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Stourton with Gasper

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 321262

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOURTON WITH GASPER STOURHEAD PARK ST 73 SE (south side) 6/156 Stourhead House 6.1.66 GV I Country house. 1721-24 for Henry Hoare by Colen Campbell, library and picture gallery pavilions added 1796-1800 for Colt Hoare, east portico added 1840, 1902-06 rebuilding of central block by Doran Webb and Sir Aston Webb, following 1902 fire. Limestone ashlar, Lakeland slate hipped roofs, ashlar stacks. Central C18 range with added wings and pavilions, service court on north side. Two-storey over basements, 5-window. Tetrastyle portico added 1840, from Campbell's C18 design, Composite columns to modillioned cornice and pediment with lead statue, from the Temple of Apollo (q.v.), chamfered rusticated basement with 6-pane sashes, balustraded steps up to portico flanked by large urns on plinths. Principal floor has double half-glazed doors flanked by cross windows within portico, casement with pediment either side. First floor has 3 blind windows in moulded architraves with 2-light casement in eared and shouldered architrave either side, modillioned cornice to balustraded parapet with corner urns, attic block above pediment also with statues from Temple of Apollo. Flanking one-bay wings and 3-bay pavilions over rusticated basement, tall casements with cornices, small casements to attic, all front windows of library are blind, balustraded parapets with ball finials added c1904 by D, Webb. Right and left returns of main block of ten bays; principal floors have Venetian windows and cross windows, all in Gibbs surrounds, first floors have ten cross windows in moulded architraves, good lead rainwater heads dated 1722. Library south pavilion has French windows with lunette over to left return, 12- pane and 6-pane sashes to rear, picture gallery to north has blind windows to side and to rear, linking wings have 12-pane sashes. Rear of main block has recessed distyle in antis first floor portico with pediment and projecting 2-bay wings, all by D. Webb; wing casements in Gibbs surrounds to principal floor, central round-arched French windows to rusticated recessed entrance, balustraded steps over basement and balustrade to portico added by Sir Aston Webb. Service wing on west side of north court with 4- panelled door, casements and sashes, the first floor billiard room over added by D. Webb, diagonally-set outbuilding, possibly game larder on west side. Interior dates from after 1902 fire, rebuilt using photographs of pre-fire interior, plasterwork by Agostini of Bristol, staircase redesigned with two arms instead of one, fireplaces in Saloon and Italian Room brought from Wavendon 1912. Library of c1800 survived fire and retains Colt-Hoare's fittings; shallow-barrel vaulted ceiling, stained glass in west lunette by F. Eginton, painted lunette to east by S. Woodforde, fireplace from Wavendon, oval niches over doors with Rysbrack busts. Picture gallery also intact: white marble fireplace with classical frieze, modillioned ceiling cornice, woodwork and fine contemporary furnishings here and in library specially designed by Chippendale. Other fittings include mahogany doors c1905. Despite the 1902 fire, this house is important as a Palladian villa in England, set in landscaped parkland and with the fine Stourhead Gardens to the west. The London banking family of Hoares acquired the estate in 1714, the old Stourton House was demolished c1720 and Stourhead built slightly to the north west. Sir Henry Colt Arthur Hoare gave the greater part of the estate to the National Trust in 1946. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1975; J. Lees-Milne, Stourhead, 1964; Rebuilding Stourhead, 1902-06; National Trust Studies, 1979)

Listing NGR: ST7775434347

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Stourhead Park, (1979)
Milne, J L, Stourhead, (1964)
Milne, J L, Rebuilding Stourhead 1902-06
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 46 Wiltshire,

National Grid Reference: ST 77754 34347

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131104 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 11:27:51.

End of official listing