This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

YORE MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: YORE MILL

List entry Number: 1131199

Location

YORE MILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Aysgarth

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 323067

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

AYSGARTH YORE BRIDGE SE 08 NW 15/45 Yore Mill 25.6.81 GV II Watermill, now museum. 1854. Rubble, stone slate roof. T-shaped plan, with wing projecting to north (front). 4 storeys plus loft, 8 bays. Quoins. 14-pane windows under relieving arches. 5 large metal cowls on roof and ridge. East elevation (left return): in the centre of each floor a bay of board doors, except for glazed door on first floor, flanked by windows. Bell turret on gable. West elevation has C20 entrance to museum on first floor and an added crow-stepped parapet to the gable. Interior: cast-iron H-section columns supporting large timber beams. On the site of a medieval fulling mill situated next to the river crossing of Yore Bridge (qv), and replacing a late C18 cotton mill burnt down in 1853. Rebuilt as a combined corn and woollen mill, but by the late C19 was used only as a corn mill, making it one of the largest in the Dales. The mill was refitted with a roller plant in 1937, when the cowls were installed, and the waterwheel was replaced by turbines. The building now houses a large collection of horse-drawn carriages.

Listing NGR: SE0111688605

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 01116 88605

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131199 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:48:09.

End of official listing