This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CROFT HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CROFT HALL

List entry Number: 1131334

Location

CROFT HALL, RICHMOND ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Croft-on-Tees

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 322683

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROFT-ON-TEES RICHMOND ROAD NZ 2809-2909 (south side) 10/44 Croft Hall 19.12.51

GV II

Manor house. Probably C15 in origin, and probably rebuilt in late C16, classicised in early C18, altered c1845. C15 work for Sir Richard Clervaux, C16 work for Christopher Chaytor, early C18 work for William Chaytor; C19 work for Sir William Chaytor, probably by Ignatius Bonomi. Roughcast over red sandstone rubble with painted ashlar dressings; C20 clay pantile roof. Formerly U-shaped, now L-shaped with rear wing to right; other additions to rear and rear left not of special interest. 3 storeys, main range of 4 bays. Chamfered plinth. Chamfered rusticated quoins. Central 8-panel door below overlight with decorative glazing bars in keyed surround with bases. Sash windows with glazing bars and crown glass in keyed surrounds, the second-floor windows half-size and of 6-panes. Coped parapet partly masking hipped roof with dormer window. Small brick stack at left end; large old stack between first and second bays partly demolished. Rear of wing: 1 bay; on ground and first floors, a tripartite window with keyed surround; on second floor a 6-pane sash in keyed surround. Right return: 2 bays, on ground floor to left, French window below overlight in keyed surround, with blind sash window in keyed surround above on first floor and 4-pane sash in keyed surround on second floor; lead rainwater pipe and hopper head draining roof valley; stack between bays; in second bay, on ground and first floors, a tripartite window, sashes with glazing bars in ashlar surround, and on second floor two 4-pane windows in keyed surrounds. Interior: ground-floor doors off central hall have 6 reeded panels; C19 curving open well staircase, formerly with stick balusters, now has C20 turned balusters. Blocked 4-light mullion internal window, noted on former list description, has been removed. Main range is only one room deep, and had very large chimney between first and second bays. A new chamber was added to Croft Hall by John Clervaux d1443, whose bequests to his son Richard included a hanging and canopy of arras for the dais in the hall. Richard Clervaux set up a private chapel there licensed in 1453, and may have carried out further improvements. His descendant Elizabeth married Christopher Chaytor, a merchant adventurer of Newcastle, whose son Anthony inherited Croft in 1590. It has remained in the Chaytor family since, although the seat was abandoned when Sir William Chaytor built Clervaux Castle nearby, to designs by Ignatius Bonomi, 1842-3 (demolished 1951). A J Pollard, "Richard Clervaux of Croft", Yorkshire Archaeological Journal (1978), pp 51-175; VCH i, p 163.

Listing NGR: NZ2879009559

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 163
'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, (1978), 51-175

National Grid Reference: NZ 28790 09557

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131334 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 09:49:18.

End of official listing