CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1131339

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, VILLAGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131339 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 22:08:00.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, VILLAGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Manfield

National Grid Reference: NZ 22268 13377

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANFIELD VILLAGE STREET NZ 21 SW (south side) 4/56 Church of All Saints 18.3.68

GV II*

Church. C12, C13, C14, C16, restored 1855. Sandstone, ashlar and rubble, some coursed, stone slate roofs. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with clerestory and south porch, lower 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower: C16; 3 stages; chamfered plinth; stepped diagonal buttress to left; projecting stair turret to right with 3 chamfered light vents; offset second stage; projecting bird's-beak string between second and third stages; chamfered light vent on second stage; flat-headed belfry openings of 2 round-arched lights on all sides; battlemented parapets; ground-floor west window of 3 round-arched lights within segmental arch, with label with shields on stops and at apex, and above it on second stage a clock, presented in 1841, in double-chamfered ashlar oculus. Nave: south porch: C19; ashlar; stepped diagonal buttresses; pointed-arched doorway with 2 orders, 1 shafted, the other richly continuously-moulded, with image niche above; coping with gable cross; in returns windows of 2 trefoiled lights; inside bench tables and C19 inner pointed-arched doorway continuously- moulded and with head stops to label. South aisle: c1240; quoins; C19 Decorated and Perpendicular windows, 1 of 2 lights to west of porch, 2 of 3 lights to east of porch; moulded eaves string; lancet west window; 4-light east window with tracery of 3 uncusped circles. Clerestory, of coursed stone, has four C19 circular windows with Decorated tracery. North aisle: c1330; quoins; four C19 two-light windows with triangular heads and Perpendicular tracery; the lower jambs of a blocked north door; C19 two- light east window; clerestory as before. Chancel: c1330; quoins to right; two C19 2-light reticulated windows flanking ex situ priest's door, of 2 round-arched orders, the outer one of c1170, shafted and with chevron and ball flower moulding, the inner one of bowtel section; moulded eaves string; coping and gable cross to right; C19 four-light east window with flamboyant tracery and head stops to label, and above it a trefoil window with head stops to label. North vestry with heating chamber below: C19; of coursed stone; a window of 2 trefoiled lights to north and west. Interior: C14 4-bay arcades to north and south, with tall double-chamfered pointed arches, octagonal columns with bell capitals, and with C13 cylindrical responds at both ends; wide C14 double-chamfered 4-centred chancel arch; tall C16 double-chamfered pointed tower arch dying into walls without responds; 3-seat sedilia with trefoiled convex-moulded arches, colonette shafts and heads on labels; piscina with matching arch, scalloped bowl on colonette; altar rail with column balusters possibly early C18; High Victorian font and pulpit of c1876 in white marble. On the south wall of the tower, 3 wall monuments with urns to members of the Witham family of Cliffe d 1796-1802. At the east end of the south aisle, medieval grave covers, one complete and with elaborate cross and sword, the others fragmentary. At the east end of the south aisle, an oak chest with 5 decorated panels and a carved foliage top rail in which is inscribed "EW 1688".

Listing NGR: NZ2226813377

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322695

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing