CHAPEL RANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1131346

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: CHAPEL RANGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL RANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131346 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 02:28:07.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAPEL RANGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Aske

National Grid Reference: NZ 17776 03442

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 10 SE ASKE ASKE PARK

10/9 Chapel range (formerly listed as Old Stable Court Range at 4.2.69 Aske Hall)

GV II*

Stables, now chapel, flat and storage. 1763, with alterations of 1887. By John Carr for Sir Lawrence Dundas, 1887 work by Thomas Oliver of Newcastle for the 3rd Earl of Zetland. Ashlar sandstone, Westmorland slate roof. 2 storeys with a basement to the south side. 2:1:3:1:2 bays, the single bays projecting slightly and rising into turrets with an extra storey. North elevation: plinth. Ground floor: continuous rounded arcade with archivolts and impost band, all now infilled in matching stonework with central, leaved, C19 6-panel door below 4-pane overlight in architrave with pulvinated frieze and modillion cornice; the other bays each with sash window with glazing bars and joggled lintel. First floor: 8-pane sash windows with joggled lintels. Modillion cornice. Balustraded parapet between the turrets, continues blind across them. Hipped roof to main range. Turrets have an oculus and hipped roof. Rear: basement has, in first turret, a doorway with flat arch flanked on each side by 2 sash windows with glazing bars, the rest blank. Arcaded main floor has in each bay a sash window with glazing bars with joggled lintel. Attic storey has 6-pane sash windows with joggled lintels, the cornice, parapet and turrets as north-west side. Left return: made apsidal when chapel formed, and with matching attic windows. Interior: chapel to left of entrance in Italianate style with marble dado and paired Corinthian pilasters, ornate cornice, and classical window surrounds with stained-glass "shutters"; the ceiling is a barrel vault divided into bays by decorated arches, and with side intersecting vaults from attic windows and triple vault over apsidal liturgical east (actually north-east) end. The interior achieves a most successful conversion into a private chapel. John Harris, "The Dundas Empire", Apollo magazine, September 1967. In front of the north-west elevation is a cobbled forecourt.

Listing NGR: NZ1777603442

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322711

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Apollo' in Apollo - September, (1967)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,

End of official listing