CARR END WITH ATTACHED SCREEN WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132022

Date first listed: 09-Jul-1986

Statutory Address: CARR END WITH ATTACHED SCREEN WALL, MARSETT LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CARR END WITH ATTACHED SCREEN WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132022 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 20:53:03.

Location

Statutory Address: CARR END WITH ATTACHED SCREEN WALL, MARSETT LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Bainbridge

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 91048 86885

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BAINBRIDGE MARSETT LANE SD 98 NW (south-east side) 13/73 Carr End with attached screen wall - II Farmhouse, now 2 houses, and attached screen wall. Late C17, with late C18 - early C19 alterations. Rubble, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 4 first- floor windows, wall projecting at right angles from left-hand end. House: between bays 3 and 4, part-glazed door in ashlar surround. To left, sash windows with glazing bars, in ashlar surrounds on ground floor, and in architraves on first floor. To right, 1 bay of tripartite sash windows in ashlar surround. To far left, blank bay. Stacks at ends, to left and between bays 1 and 2. Rear elevation: Venetian window to landing on staircase. Right return: projecting chimneybreast. Interior: in sitting room to left, panelled shutters, early C18 panelled cupboard door next to fireplace, stop-chamfered beams and joists. Dining room to right: Regency 6-panel doors and deal panelling. Cantilevered stone geometrical staircase. Screen wall has board door in ashlar surround and 2 different decorative lintels, both inscribed "IF : 1667" (John Fothergill). The Fothergill family were Quakers, and meetings were held at the house before the building of Countersett Meeting House (qv). Dr John Fothergill, an eminent physician and author of medical treatises, was born here in 1712 (died 1780). The name of the house refers to the end of Semer Water, a lake, or carr, in dialect. Bulmer, History, Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire, (1890), p 341.

Listing NGR: SD9104886885

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323095

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bulmer, T, History Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire, (1890), 341

End of official listing