LIVERPOOL WAREHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132151

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jun-1989

Statutory Address: LIVERPOOL WAREHOUSE, 7 AND 8, THE SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LIVERPOOL WAREHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132151 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 16:51:56.

Location

Statutory Address: LIVERPOOL WAREHOUSE, 7 AND 8, THE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Grassington

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SE 00272 64040

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRASSINGTON THE SQUARE SE 0064-0164 (north side) 8/32 Nos. 7 and 8 (Liverpool Warehouse) (formerly listed as the Cafe Royal.) 10.9.54 GV II Warehouse and general stores, now 3 shops. Early C19, altered to a general stores in 1848 for William Cockshott. Coursed gritstone rubble, graduated stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 3-bay main block defined by projecting long and short quoins; recessed bay to left. Shop entrance between bays 2 and 3 with plain stone surround and shallow triangular pediment, flanked by tall 4-pane sashes in plain stone surrounds, C20 shop frontage left. 1st floor: four 4-pane sashes, the central pair set close together, similar arrangements to smaller square casement windows to second floor. Stone gutter brackets, shaped kneelers, gable copings, ashlar stack right. Recessed bay left: C20 shop frontage, loading door, now window, to first floor with square window above. Gutter brackets, kneeler, coping and end stack as main block. The building was established as a general stores in 1848, a time when the population of Grassington was reaching a maximum as the improvements in lead mining were completed. The former name, "Liverpool Warehouse", reflects the source of much of the produce sold, which was brought to Gargrave via the Leeds-Liverpool Canal which was completed in 1816. S. Brooks , A History of Grassington, 1979, p53. A. Raistrick, Old Yorkshire Dales, 1967, p147.

Listing NGR: SE0027264040

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324785

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brookes, S, A History of Grassington, (1979), 53
Raistrick, A, Old Yorkshire Dales, (1967), 147

End of official listing