This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GRASSINGTON HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GRASSINGTON HALL

List entry Number: 1132153

Location

GRASSINGTON HALL, WOOD LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Grassington

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 324791

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRASSINGTON WOOD LANE SE 0064-0164 (east side, off) 8/37 Grassington Hall 10.9.54 II* House. Late C13 -early C14 remains, C17 rebuilds, mid -late C19 and c1980 restorations. Earliest work probably for Robert de Plumpton, the C17 work for George Lister and the Topham family. Coursed squared gritstone and rubble, graduated stone slate roof. Quoins. An irregular plan of 2 storeys with attic, 3 by 2 bays comprising the medieval north-east range with C17 additions to the south west. The principal facade faces south east: bays 1 and 3 project slightly, bay 1 is a 2-storey porch, the chamfered pointed 2- stone arch has quoined jambs and an inserted 2-light chamfered mullion window above; the pitched roof has C19 bulbous kneelers and gable copings with ball finial to left. Bay 2: a tall 5-light recessed hollow-chamfered mullion window with hoodmould to ground floor; on the first floor two 2- light cross windows with plate tracery heads pierced by a quatrefoil: C19 niche to gable. Bay 3: a 4-light recessed hollow-chamfered mullion window to ground floor, narrow chamfered window to right: a similar 4-light window to first floor and a smaller 3-light window to the gable. C19 bulbous kneelers, gable copings and ball finials: tall ashlar stack between bays 2 and 3. The stonework of this facade is significant: the squared gritstone to ground floor, bay 2, is replaced by rubble walling at first floor sill level, and to bay 3 the main walling is of rubble, with a section of squared stone between the ground and first-floor windows. North-west facade: the 2 gabled central bays are of importance; that to left is the end of the medieval block and has an inserted 3-light window to ground floor and a medieval paired lancet window with single stone chamfered head to the first floor; the gable rebuilt above first-floor window lintel level. The narrower right-hand staircase bay has a restored 2-light recessed mullion window. This bay overlies the more massive gable end of the south-west range. Lower C20 extensions to left and right not of special interest. South-west facade: doorway and refenestration of 1870 in Tudor Style; the right-hand projecting porch bay has a first floor corbelled chimney to left return with ashlar stack. North-east facade: C17 projecting stair block and chimney stack, left, overlie a medieval buttress; 2 restored mullioned windows below eaves, right; C20 added porch and single storey projecting bay, not of special interest. Interior: north-east range, ground floor: chamfered pointed arch with masons' marks to original medieval block opposite present entrance door on south-west. A large C17 fireplace with incised voussoirs to the lintel was reduced in width in C18, served by the external stack on the north-east wall,and has an oven in wall thickness to left and a cupboard recess under stairs to right. The stone staircase of newel-type gives access to the partitioned first-floor room which has a restored fireplace served by the external stack, and the lancet window at the north-west gable end. Interior of south-west range: the C19 entrance opens into a passage leading to the medieval doorway; on the right a large sitting room lit by the 5-light south-east window; the staircase to left of the entrance passage is C19 with medieval-style stone arch, all probably replacing a C17 original. History: by 1190 Nigel de Plumpton held the Manor of Grassington from the Percy family; his decendant, Robert was granted a market and fair at Grassington in 1282; he was building a chapel at another of his manors (Nesfield) in c1280 and was probably responsible for the first-floor hall block here. The entrance arch to the undercroft survives, together with the probable position of the doorway to the first floor, now reached by the main staircase, and a buttress. The first floor was lit by the paired lancet window in the north-west gable; the windows on the other walls destroyed or removed to the south-east wall of the C17 extension. In 1604 the then Lord of the Manor, George Clifford, 3rd Earl of Cumberland offered all the tenants in Grassington the opportunity to buy the freehold on their property and George Lister, tenant of the Hall, did so. From this date the hall was extended south-westwards and a gabled C17 facade created on the south-east, looking towards the village. A large kitchen fireplace and stone service stair were built in the undercroft of the hall. George Lister was a patron of the living of Kettlewell church and died c1632; he sold the hall to Thomas Topham, the priest of Linton Church, who died in 1651. The house remained in the Topham family for most of the C17. The building possibly went through a period of decline during the C18 and C19 but c1870 it was drastically refurbished by the Duke of Devonshire's estate, to be a house and offices for his lead agent. The building was entirely reroofed and new staircase installed, on the site of the main C17 stair. The first-floor rooms were partitioned during the C18 and C19. After another period of decline the present owners restored the house in 1980. S.Brooks, History of Grassington, 1979. T. Whitaker, History of Craven, 1805, p557.

Listing NGR: SE0020964058

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Brookes, S, A History of Grassington, (1979)
Whitaker, T D, The History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, (1805), 557

National Grid Reference: SE 00209 64058

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132153 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 08:29:58.

End of official listing