ARMISTAD FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132160

Date first listed: 04-May-1989

Statutory Address: ARMISTAD FARMHOUSE, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ARMISTAD FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132160 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 22:40:28.

Location

Statutory Address: ARMISTAD FARMHOUSE, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Litton

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 90465 74191

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 9074 LITTON MAIN STREET (north side)

20/123 Armistad Farmhouse

GV II

House. Dated 1734 with C17 remains and mid-late C19 refenestration. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys with attic, 3 x 1½ bays. Quoins. Central 6-panel door in plain surround with entablature and moulded cornice, stone plaque with lettering " R A " 1734 above. 4-pane sashes in slightly projecting sawn stone surrounds. Stone gutter brackets, shaped kneelers, moulded gable copings, corniced end stacks. Rear: sawn stone surround to stair window, otherwise recessed chamfered mullion windows; a mullion and transom window to half cellar, left, and a 2-light window to cellar, centre. Right return: the lower walling is of less well dressed stone, indicating the C17 structure, raised in smaller stones. To first floor, right, a 4-pane sash in C18 ashlar architrave; a similar surround to a smaller 6-pane gable window. Interior: narrow entrance hall; inserted partition wall between hall and living room, left. Large fireplace with segmental tripartite arch with joggled joints and incised in imitation of voussoirs. Parlour to front right: a fine built-in cupboard in centre of rear wall, of pine, with fluted-pilasters, keyed round arch to surround, fielded panel doors, ribbed coving to interior and shaped shelves. Rear room, right: dairy with stone shelves; a timber partition with reused C17 panelling between dairy and central stair- well. Fine staircase of 3 straight flights, the lower 5 steps of stone; knopped balusters and moulded handrail. Window shutters and 6-panel doors. First floor: access to the attic storey, far left. The C17 house was of 2 bays with large fireplace to living room/kitchen left, unheated parlour right and dairy under a rear outshut. The 1734 alterations included raising the house to 2 full storeys with attic, and building an extra room onto the rear left. The central door opened directly into the living room and a fireplace was put into the parlour - the probable surround now reset upstairs. The staircase, built-in cupboard and architraves to right return also belong to this period. C19 alterations included partitioning the living room to form an entrance passage, refenestration and enlargement of the doorway.

Listing NGR: SD9046574191

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324710

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing