GRANGE HALL AND GRANGE HALL COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132168

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Statutory Address: GRANGE HALL AND GRANGE HALL COTTAGE, GRANGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRANGE HALL AND GRANGE HALL COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132168 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 12:08:20.

Location

Statutory Address: GRANGE HALL AND GRANGE HALL COTTAGE, GRANGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Kildwick

National Grid Reference: SE 02065 46235

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 04 NW KILDWICK GRANGE ROAD (north side, off)

1/1 Grange Hall and Grange Hall Cottage 10.9.54

GV II

House, now 2 houses. 1614 -20 for John Coates, enlarged to rear and chimney added in C17- C18 and divided into two properties probably late C19, when alterations were made to south front. Gritstone blocks and rubble, graduated stone slate roof. Quoins. 2½ storeys, 3 bays with large 2-bay west wing, shorter l-bay east wing and a central stair turret to rear. South facade: bay 1, tall 4-light C19 chamfered mullion window to ground and first floor. Bays 2 and 3: on left single-storey open porch with chamfered opening, deep moulded cornice and balustrade with roll-moulded parapet supported by squat moulded balusters; within the porch stone benches and mid C17 board door with applied studded bands. Another board door, left of centre, in surround with sawn stone jambs and Tudor-style lintel flanked by a 3-and 4-light mullioned window, both restored. Recessed chamfered mullion windows of 3, 2 and 4 lights to first floor; gable window, bay 3, of 3 stepped lights with hoodmould. Blocked first- floor doorway above the porch, bay 2, the much altered gable above having a chimney at the apex, the quoins of which are visible below, in the wall face. Gable chimney ind end stacks are C18, corniced, with 2 or 3 flues each. Interior: the division of the house into 2 properties is to the right of the gable chimney stack; the porch entrance bay 1 and the rear west wing form Grange Hall; bay 3, the rear stair and east wing are Grange Hall Cottage. Grange Hall: a straight flight of stairs rises inside the entrance, with living room to left. A C17 stair with remains of splat balusters to the north end of the rear wing; on the first floor a post and panel partition below a massive tie beam; panelled doors with original fittings. Grange Hall Cottage: the front door opens into a large room, formerly divided by a partition along the western ceiling beam. C17 panelling and overmantle to east gable fireplace and the south-west corner fireplace. A thin partition wall divides the left end of the room from the rear staircase of 4 straight flights with bulbous turned newels and balusters. A blocked mullioned window in the wall between front room and rear east wing. First floor right: fine early -mid C17 deeply moulded strapwork to the curved plaster ceiling, relief of vine scrolls in the tympanum. Panelled doors with original fittings. History: Kildwick was a grange of Bolton Abbey by the C14 when building work was in progress on the bridge and the church (q.v.) The grange farm was the principal manorial settlement and at the Dissolution (1539) it was divided between 2 speculators, Robert Wilkinson of Bradford and Thomas Drake of Halifax. In the mid C16 Drake sold his share to John Garforth of Farnhill and shortly afterwards it became the property of Henry Currer. It is likely that Robert Wilkinson passed his share, with Grange Hall, to the Coates family c1573. Deeds record the construction of the house by John Coates. Roger Coates, a staunch puritan persecuted at the Restoration, died in 1660 and was recorded 'of Kildwick Grange', on his tombstone. The inventory of another John Coates (1708) survives, and it appears to include all the existing building, with rear wings. The C18 history is linked with the Netherwood family, the corner fireplaces and end stacks are of this date. C19 alterations include the south front gables and refenestration together with the division of the property into 2 dwellings. Bradford Metropolitan Council, Kildwick Grange Conservation Area, 1975. Yorkshire Buildings Study Group, Report No. 590, 1979.

Listing NGR: SE0206546235

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324726

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Kildwick Grange Conservation Area, (1975)
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildibbgs Study Group Report' in Report Number 590, (1979)

End of official listing