KILDWICK HALL WITH KITCHEN BLOCK TO REAR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1132170

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Statutory Address: KILDWICK HALL WITH KITCHEN BLOCK TO REAR, GRANGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of KILDWICK HALL WITH KITCHEN BLOCK TO REAR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132170 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 11:02:48.

Location

Statutory Address: KILDWICK HALL WITH KITCHEN BLOCK TO REAR, GRANGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Kildwick

National Grid Reference: SE 01174 46307

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 04 NW KILDWICK GRANGE ROAD (north side)

1/4 Kildwick Hall with kitchen block to 10.9.54 rear.

GV II*

Large house, now hotel. Probably pre-1653 for Henry Currer; kitchen 1673 for Hugh Currer; altered 1722 -24 for Howarth, Richard and John Currer; modified mid C19 for Wilson family. Coursed gritstone rubble and ashlar dressings, graduated stone slate roof. Quoins. 3-storey main range, the upper storey partly in the roof; 4 gabled bays, having a medieval-type plan of a cross passage, central hall and cross wings, the narrower storeyed porch (bay 3) and cross wings projecting slightly. A 2-storey, 3-bay kitchen block to rear, originally separate but linked by a 2-storey range which projects to the east. Main range: porch has studded board door in moulded ashlar surround with interlace motifs in the spandrels and shallow triangular doorhead; hoodmould and moulded plaque with coat of arms in high relief. Recessed ovolo-moulded mullion windows throughout, of 6, 8 (with king mullion) and 6 lights to ground floor; of 6, 5 + 2 and 3 (to porch) and 6 lights to first floor, on both floors with a continuous hoodmould. The gabled second storey has windows of 5, 3, 3 and 5 lights, the two 3- light windows being ogee-headed and all with hoodmoulds. Moulded kneelers and gable copings with pyramidal knopped finials. Lead downpipes are decorated, with the date 1771 on fountain head and a mailed fist with dagger in relief on the fixing plaques. Moulded kneelers and gable copings probably rebuilt at same date. Corniced ashlar stacks to left and right returns, both external, and to ridge left of bay 2 and rear of ridge, to right of entrance bay. Rear, main range: the ground and first floors are obscured by the later addition but 2-light recessed chamfered mullion windows light the rear corridor of the second storey. Left return: moulded surround to doorway left of centre with intitals H C (Haworth Currer 1690 -1744) in responds and hoodmould. 2-light ovolo-moulded window with hoodmould to left of entrance; similar stepped pairs of windows light the staircase to first and second floors. Projecting quoined stack to right and drainpipe dated 1926. Right return, main range; inserted glazed door to right in former window opening, cross-window to ground and first floor on left of the external stack under a hoodmould returned from front; 3-light mullion and transom staircase window to first floor, right, with a small chamfered opening to left of it; a 3-light attic window above; a small inserted window below eaves far left. Projecting 2-storey bay to right; canted bay window with mullion and transom windows to ground floor, mullions to first floor, between the windows a plaque with shield and raised lettering, "FMRC 1858", shaped kneelers and hipped roof; mullion and transom window to first floor of left return; corniced ashlar ridge stack to rear and eaves stack to right. This bay overlies the east gable of the rear kitchen, the 2 western bays of the southern side of which are visible from the west courtyard of the hall. Kitchen block, south front: quoins; a 2-light flat-faced mullion window and a 3-light recessed chamfered mullion window with hoodmould to ground floor, both recessed chamfered, the hoodmoulds both having elaborately carved out-turned stops; stone gutter brackets, shaped kneelers, gable copings, end stacks to left and one to rear of ridge on right. Interior, hall: the porch entrance opens into a large reception room with massive stone arched fireplace at the left end- the voussoirs are separate and the chamfer is elaborately moulded; C17 and early C18 panelling, some reset; 2 massive ceiling beams with quarter-round moulding to chamfers. Front room, right: plain fireplace with C17 overmantle; C18 Gothick-style plasterwork to ceiling, with deeply moulded panels set with rosettes and fleurs de lis. A doorway to right of the hall fireplace leads to the massive stone staircase in the rear of the left bay; it is of 4 straight flights and the landing ceilings have C17 plaster panels with deeply moulded fruit and flowers including roses and fleur de lis. The dining room in the rear range of the house, right, is entered from the archway opposite the entrance door and has richly-decorated wall and ceiling panels. First floor: a corridor along the rear of the house has 5 bolection-moulded doorways with 2-panel doors giving access to the front bedrooms. The room over the hall has a small bolection-moulded fireplace and panelling including a partition wall with sealed-up door and cupboards. A panelled room to first floor right has a plain fireplace with elaborate overmantle decorated with arcading, attached columns and strapwork; the ceiling cornice and beam have relief plaster decoration including heraldic beasts, icons, bosses and vine scrolls. All first-floor windows have shutters with fielded panels; the inner faces of the mullions are ovolo-moulded. A back staircase between the first and second floors, to rear, left, is of 2 flights, with knopped column on vase balusters and moulded handrail. Second-floor front rooms are ceiled just above tie-beam level, the main roof not inspected at resurvey. Kitchen block: a massive fireplace with deep chamfer and a wide doorway to right, formerly leading to scullery and larder; between fireplace and doorway a carving in relief, " H C " . Mullioned windows in the east gable are now blocked or altered. 1673 Early painted glass survives in the window lighting the first half-landing of the main staircase with the initials H G and E R, a cross and 3 lions' heads, all mounted in C19 or early C20 leading and possibly from the church. The Currer and Richardson families are those responsible for the building work at Kildwick. Hugh Currer (d.1617) bought the manor of Kildwick and his son Henry (1587 - 1653) bought the Grange, reuniting the Bolton Abbey lands at Kildwick which had been divided shortly after the Dissolution. Henry probably built the main range of the house but his son Hugh (1608 -90) made significant additions - his initials are in the kitchen range and feature again with those of his wife, Ann Haworth of Thurcroft, reset on a fountain head (1663) of the Justice Room (q.v.). The coat of arms above the entrance are those of Currer and Haworth. Their son, Henry (d.1723) was a Justice and probably built the Justice Room. One of their grandsons was given the name Haworth Currer (1690 - 1744), he was probably responsible for laying out the gardens but his sister, Dorothy, inherited the estate on his death and probably brought further wealth to the family on her marriage in 1705 to Richard Richardson of Brierley (d.1741). Their son, John Richardson (1721 -1784),assumed the name of Currer and succeeded to the estate in 1759. The date 1771 and Richardson badge of a fist clasping a dagger on the lead fall-pipes suggests further work on the roofs and elsewhere. In 1784 the estate was passed on via John's nephew Henry to Margaret Clive, Henry's widow, who in 1800 married her cousin Matthew Wilson at Gargrave. The family house was Eshton Hall. Margaret's daughter and heiress Frances Mary Richardson Currer (1785-1861) had her initials added to the bay-windowed dining room. When the house passed from the Richardson to the Wilson families it ceased to be occupied by the owners and was tenanted throughout the C19 apart from 1825-26 when Eshton Hall was being rebuilt and Matthew Wilson lived there until 1841. Frances' half-brother inherited the estate in 1861. During the early C20 during the 1970's was converted into a private hotel. The house is often associated with the Bronte family, but no direct links between the Bronte and Richardson Currer families are known, apart from the family name Haworth and the non-de-plume Currer Bell adopted by Charlotte Bronte. Country Life, Volume 29, 1911, pp126 -135. T.D. Whittaker, History of Craven, 1805, revised edition 1878, p214.









Listing NGR: SE0117446307

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324729

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Whitaker, T D, The History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, (1805), 214
Whitaker, T D, History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, (1878), 214
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 29, (1911), 126-135

End of official listing