GARDEN WALL GATEPIERS AND URNS FRONTING KILDWICK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132171

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Mar-1989

Statutory Address: GARDEN WALL GATEPIERS AND URNS FRONTING KILDWICK HALL, GRANGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GARDEN WALL GATEPIERS AND URNS FRONTING KILDWICK HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132171 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 17:37:10.

Location

Statutory Address: GARDEN WALL GATEPIERS AND URNS FRONTING KILDWICK HALL, GRANGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Kildwick

National Grid Reference: SE 01180 46273

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 04 NW KILDWICK GRANGE ROAD (north side)

1/6 Garden wall, gate piers and urns fronting Kildwick Hall ( formerly listed with 10.9.54 Justice Room)

GV II

Wall, gate piers with lions, and 4 urns. Lions and urns possibly late C17 for Hugh Currer, probably reset on wall and piers mid C18 for Haworth Currer or Richard Richardson. Wall of coursed gritstone rubble, piers of ashlar, lions of limestone, urns probably of gritstone. Wall approximately 65 metres long running between the Justice Room (q.v.) and garden pavilion (q.v.), approximately 1.5 metres high across the front of the house, stepping up to over 2 metres high at eastern end. The wall coping is ridged, with a roll moulding and the flat top interrupted by large square blocks as bases for the urns. The urns comprise 2 pairs flanking the gateway; one pair has a narrow stem, gadrooned flattened body and small ball finial, the other pair has similar stem, moulded body with strapwork, cover and ball finial; all considerably restored. Gate piers opposite house entrance rusticated, frontal pilasters, rectangular jambs capped by reversed consoles of acanthus leaf; entablature and cornice moulding similar to Justice Room (q.v.), half pediments rolled at break and finished with a rosette, upon which is mounted an heraldic lion passant, regardant, heavily restored. The wall is illustrated in Whitaker (1805) where the capped urns are shown with swags of flowers below the rim. The gates illustrated there (wooden, with solid panels below and rails above) were still in situ in 1911 (Country Life photograph) The lions are of similar material to the plaque above the front door of the hall (q.v.) which has the arms of Currer and Haworth, and the style is primitive compared to that of the piers. Country Life, Vol 29. 1911, p126 -133. T.D. Whitaker, History of Craven, 1805, revised edition 1878, p214

Listing NGR: SE0118046273

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324731

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Whitaker, T D, History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, (1878), 214
Whitaker, T D, The History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, (1805), 214
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 29, (1911), 126-133

End of official listing