CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1132175

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 02:42:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Kildwick

National Grid Reference: SE 01144 45893

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 04 NW KILDWICK MAIN ROAD (north side, off)

1/19 Church of St Andrew

10.9.54

GV I

Church. C14, extended C16 -C17, repaired and re-ordered 1864-75 and extensively restored 1901-03. Coursed squared large sandstone blocks to tower and nave clerestory, gritstone rubble to north and south aisles and east end. Graduated stone slate roofs; cast-iron clock face, wrought-iron weather vane. 2-stage west tower, 6-bay nave with north and south aisles continuous with the 4-bay chancel; shallow-pitched roof to south aisle, providing a full-length clerestory; south porch to nave west end. Tower: of 2 stages with angle buttresses, slightly projecting stair turret to south-east corner; west door in double chamfered arch and 3-light perpendicular-style window above, both restored 1860; small trefoil-headed niche below the belfry window which is of 2 lights with Perpendicular tracery to each face. Corbelled embattled parapet. Large clock face on south side with raised border inscription in capitals: "The gift of W. Currer of Steeton/ late citizen of London 1709/ Renewed by subscription/ Redeem the time/ 1828." The ornate weather vane above the stair turret has C and S scrolls, pennant and ball finial. Nave: 1873, south porch in Gothic style with double-chamfered arch, niche above, moulded parapet coping and clasping buttresses; the 4 westerly south aisle windows have 2 or 3 trefoil-headed lights, originally in pointed arches which were truncated when the south aisle roof was lowered, 2 have the remains of hood moulds. The easterly nave and 3 chancel windows are square-headed with 3 round-headed lights and cavetto-moulded mullions. Similar shallow windows of 2 and 3 lights to clerestory, renewed 1901-03. At the east end of the chancel south aisle a 3-light recessed chamfered mullion window close to ground level, 2 lights blocked, the left light retaining its iron grille. Board door in ogee-headed doorway to chancel, far left; a large square sundial above with the inscription, "Howarth Currer Arm/Dono Dedit/ 1729" A blocked square-headed doorway with chamfered quoins and large lintel to the centre of the south nave aisle, to right of a change in the building line of the clerestory wall. 3 solid buttresses to nave aisle, 1 stepped buttress to chancel aisle. North side: the aisle roof is continuous with that of the nave and chancel; moulded pointed arch to nave north door; fenestration similar to north side but probably restored C19 - C20. East end: large 7-light window without tracery in a shallow pointed arch with hoodmould, flanked by buttresses. Square-headed south aisle east window of 3 segmental-headed lights; north aisle window similar, restored 1901-03. A blocked 3-light recessed chamfered mullion window below the south aisle window. Interior: 4 quatrefoil piers to nave arcades, west end; the remaining piers to nave and chancel are octagonal, 2 to nave having half- round attached columns. No chancel arch. Tie-beam roof trusses. A piscina in the nave south wall with a blocked doorway to left which has a reused memorial stone carved with a C12 St. Andrews cross as a lintel. Font at west end of nave: base restored, C15 octagonal bowl carved with the symbols of the crucifixion and finely carved C19 3-tier cover, probably a replica of the C14 original. C16 and C17 reset screens and pews with linen-fold panelling and mouldings, dates include 1633 and 1681; the fine box pew of the Fox family in the north aisle has turned balusters to the top rail and cock's head hinges. C10 cross fragments displayed in the south aisle were discovered in the 1901 rebuilding of the chancel south side. Effigy of Sir Robert de Styveton (Steeton) dated 1307 but probably mid C14 in style, repositioned in 1854, now in nave north aisle, west end. History: the church belonged to the canons of Bolton Abbey who established a grange nearby and built the bridge (q.v.); the vicars date back to 1272. There are earlier remains but the C14 church is represented by the tower, south windows, quatrefoil piers, de Styveton tomb (originally between the most easterly quatrefoil piers of the north aisle) and the piscina. The easterly extension was probably in 2 phases - the C15 and after the Dissolution (1539). Henry VIII granted Kildwick to Christ Church, Oxford and the C16 -C17 developments are reroofing (the earlier steep pitch visible on the tower east side), fitting of pews including that of the Fox family in the north aisle and the screens, together with the Spencer vault built at the east end of the south aisle of which 2 windows remain. C18 work appears to have been largely cosmetic - the Currer family chapel in the north aisle, sundial, clock, and a plaster ceiling was constructed below the roof timbers, the west door widened in 1770 to allow the storage of the hearse. By the early C19 the structure was in need of repair but alterations continued; a west gallery was built in 1824, the font cover broken up to make a set of dining chairs, the base of the tower was disused and rubbish left in it; several new sets of pews were installed during the mid C19. The west end was remodelled in 1868-75 - the gallery removed and the font cover replaced, porch rebuilt, west door and window of tower restored. Meanwhile the chancel end appears to have been neglected and it is at the eastern end that the 1901-03 restoration began. Rev E. W. Brereton, History of the Ancient and Historic Church of St. Andrew, 1909. T.D. Whitaker, History and Antiquitities of the Deanery of Craven, 1805, 3rd edition 1878, p209.

Listing NGR: SE0114445893

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324746

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Whitaker, T D, The History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, (1805)
Whitaker, T D, History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, (1878), 209

End of official listing