Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1132212
Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954
Statutory Address: SCAR HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132212 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 14:06:53.
Statutory Address: SCAR HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: North Yorkshire
District: Craven (District Authority)
National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference: SD 92141 78875
SD 97 NW BUCKDEN HUBBERHOLME
6/37 Scar House
House. Dated 1697 for James Tennant but with probably earlier C17 and C18 remains; the front wall rebuilt and plan altered 1876 for John William Ramsden of Buckden House. Coursed limestone rubble, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Quoins. A half-glazed C20 door to right of centre in a rusticated quoined surround having pulvinated frieze, moulded cornice over a stone date plaque with " T " in raised letters and 4-petal flower I A 1698 motif. A plaque above has in raised letters "REBUILT" Mullioned windows JWR 1876 of 2, 4, and 4 lights to each floor. Stone gutter brackets, shaped kneelers, gable copings, corniced end stacks. Rear: C17 recessed chamfered mullions of 3 and 5 lights to ground floor and 3 and 4 lights above; there is a large rectangular stair window centre with C20 glazing and below it a blocked round arched single-light window. Left return: a C20 glazed door in chamfered quoined surround with cambered head, left. Right return: remains of plinth; 2 low windows with reused or altered C17 surrounds. Interior: the front door opens into a narrow passage, the left wall an inserted partition, with door into left and right rooms; a thick cross wall divides the front room from the rear entrance lobby left, central 1876 staircase, and pantry/buttery right. Ground floor left - the main living room has a large fireplace with chamfered voussoirs of an archway to left, now with a 4-panel door into a small storeroom with stone shelves. The fireplace has an inner arch with finely worked cyma mouldings to the voussoirs and jambs. The front parlour, right, has an inserted partition wall with built-in cupboard, the partition creating a narrow 'toolroom' to the rear, between the parlour and rear dairy, which has a stone salting slab inscribed " IT 1694". The house was the property of the Tennant family in the C17; George Fox preached there in 1652. The Inventory of James Tennant, the builder of the earliest remains surviving, is dated 1719 and refers to the main chambers on 2 floors and garrets, probably in the roof. K.Baird, A Study of Vernacular Buildings in Buckden and Langstrothdale, M.A. Dissertation, University of Manchester, 1987. A. RaistricK, The Dalesman, 1946
Listing NGR: SD9214178875
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 324624
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Baird, K, A Study of Vernacular Buildings in Buckden and Langstrothdale
'The Dalesman' in The Dalesman, (1946)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing