BUCKDEN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132215

Date first listed: 04-May-1989

Statutory Address: BUCKDEN HOUSE, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUCKDEN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132215 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 22:32:12.

Location

Statutory Address: BUCKDEN HOUSE, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Buckden

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 94261 77104

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 97 NW BUCKDEN MAIN STREET (east side, off)

6/46 Buckden House

- II

House. Mid C18 with C19 extensions and alterations. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. The original 2-storey, 3-bay house has an added third storey and 2 bays added in 2 stages to left; a projecting single-storey entrance range overlies the original 3-bay ground floor. C20 added range to right. Quoins. Original doorway inside the C19 extension: a 6-panel door, the upper 4 panels glazed, in an eared and moulded architrave with pulvinated frieze, modillioned cornice and triangular pediment. The C19 entrance has flanking columns with entablature and cornice and is flanked by 3-light mullioned windows. Mullions are flat-faced throughout. Fenestration, ground floor: large 3- light window bay 1, 16-pane sash bay 2. First floor: mullioned windows of 3, 2, 3, 1 and 3 lights; second floor: 3, 3, 3, 1 and 3 lights. Projecting band at first floor level and at eaves level; stone gutter brackets; centre and end stacks. Rear: the original house has a 2-panel door to right of centre, and a fine transomed window to left of centre in a round arch with imposts and keystone. The almost square original windows, baysl and 3, ground and first floor, have 16-pane sashes in plain stone surrounds. The remaining windows have similar but more yellow stone surrounds and the right-hand quoins are between the 4th and 5th bays. Interior: original features of the house are the staircase of 3 straight flights with knopped column-on-vase balusters and moulded ramped handrail, against the rear wall opposite the entrance. The front room to left of the entrance has a built-in cupboard with fielded panels to the double doors and 3 shaped shelves; a modillioned ceiling cornice in this room may be original and extended when the addition was built onto the front. A moulded ceiling cornice to the landing. The original house was almost square in plan, the front door opening directly into the main dining room (right), a parlour to left and a rear pantry and kitchen to each side of the fine staircase. The early history of the house is linked with the Heber and Ramsden families. Major alterations probably took place in 1879 when the house was bought by General Crompton Stansfield, whose daughter, Elizabeth lived there 1866- 1938. The house and estate were sold in 1945 and again in 1967, and in 1974 it became an outdoor education centre.

Listing NGR: SD9426177104

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324633

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing