CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132236

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132236 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 04:42:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Arncliffe

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 93315 71986

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 9271 - 9371 ARNCLIFFE

22/2 Church of St. Oswald 20.2.58

GV II

Church of St. Oswald. C15 west tower; nave re-built c1800 and restored 1841; chancel rebuilt 1843. 1840's work by Anthony Salvin. Tower of limestone rubble, nave and chancel of coursed rubble with grey slate roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, lower 2-bay chancel. Tower: of two stages with offset diagonal buttresses; a 3-light restored perpendicular west window, clock to south side; belfry windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights under a continuous hoodmould; restored embattled parapet with crocketed corner finials. Body of Church has offset buttresses, 2-light perpendicular style windows, low porch with 4-centred archway, and 3-light east window. Interior: tower arch has attached octagonal columns and a pointed arch of two orders, one concave and one straight. Blocked windows, probably from the c1800 build, are visible on the north and south walls of the nave. A very wide depressed pointed arch to the chancel. 6 queen-post trusses to nave roof, with cusped decoration. East window glass by Wailes of Newcastle.

Listing NGR: SD9331571986

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324586

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing