OLD GLEDSTONE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1132251

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Oct-1988

Statutory Address: OLD GLEDSTONE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD GLEDSTONE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132251 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 08:20:13.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD GLEDSTONE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Martons Both

National Grid Reference: SD 88313 50770

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 85 SE MARTONS BOTH OLD GLESTONE HALL GROUNDS

1/131 Old Gledstone (formerly listed as Old Gledstone 10.9.54 House Stables)

II*

Stable block, now estate office and house, c.1770. Probably by john Carr of York. Ashlar to the front, squared dressed stone to sides and rear, brick to the courtyard and hipped slate roof. On plan the building is square outside and circular inside. Two storeys. The front is of nine bays, symmetrical about the central round-headed entry, which is repeated to either side as a blind arcade, but pierced by windows except in the end bays. The third and seventh bays, break forward slightly under pediments. Square windows above with plain reveals and casements. The rear is also symmetrical and of nine bays, but here the repeated unit is a simple doorway,and the fourth and sixth bays only have segmental-arched entries. Circular breathers are aligned above the four outer doorways, and tripartite windows above the entries. The south side has a stone consoled cornice over its central doorway, which like the one opposite in the courtyard was salvaged from Gledstone Hall, demolished 1928. The courtyard has a continuous arcade of 16 elliptical arches with stone bases and imposts. Simple cambered heads to the pitch holes above. Spur stones at the cardinal points. One bay is filled in to make the front door of the house (1970s) and there is an iron balcony over two adjacent bays. Off the entry passage a stable still retains stone posts, to the stalls. Over the entry there is a square base with a clock,surmounted by a hemispherical dome, ball and weathervane on twelve Doric columns.

Listing NGR: SD8831350770

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324509

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing