- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- BROUGHTON HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132296.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2021 at 15:31:56.
- Statutory Address:
- BROUGHTON HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Yorkshire
- Craven (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 94282 50844
SD 95 SW BROUGHTON THE PARK
2/30 Broughton Hall 10.9.54 GV I
Mansion. Core of 1597 altered c 1755 and refronted 1838-41 by George Webster; wings by William Atkinson, 1809-14, and further west wing and tower by Webster. Conservatory, 1853. Ashlar with slate and lead roofs. Central block of 2 storeys, with basement and attic storey, and of 7 bays. This forms a symmetrical composition around a central canted bay (mid C18) now partly masked by the giant Greek Ionic porte cochere of two pairs of columns. This order continues across the facade as a Doric pilastrade. The attic and porte cochere are balustraded. The windows are sashed with all glazing bars and have cornices to ground floor and attic; the doorway has a pediment on consoles. The wings are of two storeys level with those of centre, coming forward slightly to form a frame for 2 Ionic half columns, and pedimented. The single bay is filled to ground floor by a sashed tripartite window with Ionic columns as mullions; the window above is sashed but unmoulded. Urns as acroteria. West serving wing of 2 storeys, finished as central block and ending in a four-stage tower of square plan. This is topped by a prominent octagonal cupola resting on 8 columns derived from the Tower of the Winds. The sides and rear are comparatively plain but attached to the rear are the Conservatory of 1853, by Andrews and Delaunay of Bradford on a basilican plan, and elaborate example with stone Ionic columns without and cast-iron columns within, fully glazed; and the simple 5-bay chapel (to which the service wing tower is the belfry). Interior: Almost entirely of 1809-14. The exceptions are the south room on the first floor, with small panels perhaps from the original build, a back stair perhaps C17, and the transverse hall which may record an unusual feature of the original plan. This preserves the decorative scheme of c 1755 for Stephen Tempest, with Ionic Scagliola columns and modillion cornices to ceiling and doorcases. Atkinson's alterations form the chief interest of the interior and these include the present decoration of the library and dining-room, the provision of a shallow-domed vestibule and staircase, and the White and Red Drawing Rooms in the eastern addition. These rooms are in a rich but restrained Neoclassical style. The Chapel of the Sacred Heart is entirely Gothic of C19, with low quadripartite vaulting, much polychromatic stencilling and a western gallery on Gothic Corinthian colonnettes. The House is principally important as an example of Picturesque Classicism, particularly in the semi-formal setting created by W A Nesfield (see Country Life, January 29 1981). Samuel Buck's Yorkshire Sketchbook, facsimile, 1979 shows the house in early C19; T D Whitaker, History and Antiquities of theDemery of Craven, 1812; Country Life, March 31, April 7 and 14 1950.
Listing NGR: SD9428350845
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, (1812)
Hall, I, Samuel Bucks Yorkshire Sketch Book, (1979)
'Country Life' in 29 January, (1981)
'Country Life' in 14 April, (1950)
'Country Life' in 31 March, (1950)
'Country Life' in 7 April, (1950)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing