KNIGHTS STAINFORTH HALL AND KNIGHTS COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132317

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: KNIGHTS STAINFORTH HALL AND KNIGHTS COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KNIGHTS STAINFORTH HALL AND KNIGHTS COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132317 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 03:15:10.

Location

Statutory Address: KNIGHTS STAINFORTH HALL AND KNIGHTS COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Stainforth

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 81473 67210

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAINFORTH KNIGHT STAINFORTH SD 86 NW 2/21 Knight's Stainforth Hall and Knight's Cottage 20.2.58 (formerly listed as Stainforth Hall) GV II Former manor house, now house and cottage. Dated 1672. Slobbered rubble brought to course, stone dressings, stone slate roof. 3 storeys 6 bays. Central entrance has surround of double quirked bead moulding and large plain lintel; C20 door. Sundial above (gnomon now gone) is dated 1724. 6 ground floor chamfered windows; bay 1 is a cross window with cavetto mullions and transoms and hoodmould; remaining windows were originally similar but mullions and transoms are now gone, bay 2 was lowered to create C20 entrance with glazed doors, bay 4 has lost its jambs. Continuous hoodmould over the entrance and flanking window on either side. Chamfered cross windows with cavetto mullions and transoms on first floor except bays 3 and 6 which have lost their mullions and transoms; bay 4 is now blocked. A narrow single-light transomed window between bays 3 and 4 is also blocked. Five 2-light chamfered windows with cavetto mullions on second floor. All windows have C20 casements. Moulded eaves modillions. Gable end ridge stacks and ridge stack between bays 2 and 3. Left-hand return has near symmetrical facade of 3 storeys, 6 bays. Two outer bays on each side are gabled and contain a slightly projecting gable-end stack each supported on two corbels at the level of the first floor window heads. Small datestone above hoodmould of ground floor window in bay 5. Projecting central wing to right of rear contains entrance to Knight's Cottage which has chamfered surround and pointed arched head. The hall was the home of Samuel Watson, an early Quaker who was granted a licence to worship in the hall under the 1689 Toleration Act. Source: T Brayshaw and R M Robinson. A History of the Ancient Parish of Giggleswick (1932), pp 98-102.

Listing NGR: SD8147367210

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324363

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brayshaw, T, Robinson, R M , A History of the Ancient Parish of Giggleswick, (1932), 98-102

End of official listing