INGLEBOROUGH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1132400

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: INGLEBOROUGH HALL, CHURCH AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of INGLEBOROUGH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132400 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 15:19:38.

Location

Statutory Address: INGLEBOROUGH HALL, CHURCH AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Clapham cum Newby

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 74682 69343

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLAPHAM-CUM-NEWBY CHURCH AVENUE SD 7496 (east side) 13/4 Ingleborough Hall 20.2.58 GV II* Formerly country house, now outdoor education centre. c1814. By William Atkinson for James Farrer. Ashlar, slate roof. South block has central staircase plan; north block contains service rooms, formerly built around open courtyard, now enclosed to form dining room. Greek revival. West entrance front: 2 storeys, 3 bays. Entrance has massive portico of engaged Doric columns in antis. Entablature breaks forward and has triglyphs, metopes and cornice with guttae; tall double-leaf doors, glazed with margin pane glazing except small unglazed panel at base. Recessed panel below flanking ground-floor windows; sashes without glazing bars. Upper floor sill band; C20 casements to upper floor windows. 2 parallel ridge stacks to hipped roof. South garden front: 2 storeys, 7 bays. Central 2 storey bow of 3 bays has 4 engaged Doric columns, entablature and lead dome. 3 French windows to ground floor (former drawing room) have moulded surrounds and ears. 4 ground floor windows have sashes without glazing bars; upper floor sill band. 7 upper floor windows have C20 casements. 2 parallel ridge stacks to hipped roof. Interior: entrance hall has 4 Greek Ionic columns of polished crinoidal limestone; palmettes to necking and egg and dart motif and volutes to capitals. Geometrical stair has stone treads, wrought iron balusters and ramped, wreathed handrail. Principal ground floor rooms retain moulded cornices of palmettes and anthemia. Birthplace of Reginald Farrer (1880-1920) botanist. Source: H M Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (London, 1978), p 76.



Listing NGR: SD7468269343

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324152

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 78

End of official listing