CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1132464
Date first listed:
12-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, NEWTON-KYME HALL ESTATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132464.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Apr-2021 at 07:25:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, NEWTON-KYME HALL ESTATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Selby (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton Kyme cum Toulston
National Grid Reference:
SE 46580 44879

Details

SE 44 SE NEWTON-KYNE-CUM- NEWTON KYNE IIALL ESTATE TOULSTON 4/68 Church of St Andrew

GV I

Church. C12, C13, C14 with later additions. Magnesian limestone with stone slate roof. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, and chancel with north chapel. 2-stage tower: plinth. 2-light, straight, trefoil- headed window. First floor band. Slit window to south. Trefoil-headed, 2-light bell openings. Band with gargoyles. Battlements. Porch: pointed chamfered arch with incised figures in the chamfer of a cow, boar's head, incised arms of Talbois and in relief, The Virgin and Child and a St Andrew's cross. Pointed south doorway under hood-mould with stops. Nave: to south side an ogee-headed window above porch, 2-light window with plate tracery and elliptical-arched window. North aisle: a 2- and 3-light window with Y-tracery. Chancel. South side: buttress to right. Trefoil- headed priest's doorway with remains of incised Dials in jambs. 2-light 4-centred window under hood-mould with recut mullions. Round-headed windows above door, 2 lancet window. North side: lancet window. North chapel: two 2-light windows with Y-tracery, and to east end a 3-light window with Geometrical tracery to the head. East window: 3-light window with Geometrical tracery to the head. Interior: double-chamfered, pointed-headed tower arch. Late C13 nave arcade of 2 pointed arches with octagonal pier and respond and double-shafted west respond cll50-1200. Double-chamfered pointed chancel arch and part-blocked doorway between aisle and chapel. Chancel: sedilia supported by cylindrical shaft. Piscina. Squint. C12 cylindrical font with C19 cover and base. Sculpted head on pedestal inscribed on base 'JOHN / 1613 / FX' brought from Pateley Bridge in 1939. C17 armorial shield, Barwick impaling Strickland. Wall monument to Robert Fairfax d 1725. Wooden memorial to Katherine Stapilton d 1695. G E Kirk, The Parish church of St Andrew, Newton Kyne, 1953.

Listing NGR: SE4657944881

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
325988
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Kirk, G E , The Parish Church of St Andrew Newton Kyme Yorkshire, (1953)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/01543/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].