AIRE AND CALDER NAVIGATION, SELBY CANAL, SELBY LOCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132586

Date first listed: 14-Nov-1980

Statutory Address: AIRE AND CALDER NAVIGATION, SELBY CANAL, SELBY LOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of AIRE AND CALDER NAVIGATION, SELBY CANAL, SELBY LOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132586 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 14:04:48.

Location

Statutory Address: AIRE AND CALDER NAVIGATION, SELBY CANAL, SELBY LOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby (District Authority)

Parish: Selby

National Grid Reference: SE 62206 32184

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

AIRE AND CALDER NAVIGATION 1. Selby Canal 5342 --------------------------- Selby Lock

SE 6232 7/38

II

2. 1775-8. Engineer: William Jessop. Resident engineer: John Gott. Contractors: John and James Pinkerton. Massive ashlar kerbstones and retaining walls, splayed at either end. Iron bollards and mooring irons. Two wooden lock gates. Cast iron paddle mechanism embossed "John Sturge and Co. Bowling Iron Works. Aire and Calder Navigation 1828". History: Cutting on the Selby Canal began in 1775, and it was opened on 29 April 1778. Although John Smeaton had originally been retained by the company, he delegated the surveying to his assistant William Jessop (1745- 1814), who later became famous as the engineer of the Grand Junction Canal.

Listing NGR: SE6220632184

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 325709

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing