CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1132679

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132679 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 02:07:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Letwell

National Grid Reference: SK 55947 87052

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LETWELL CHURCH LANE SK58NE (north side) 3/58 Church of St. Peter 29.7.66 II*

Church. C15 tower and north wall of nave, otherwise rebuilt 1820 (patron H. G. Knight) burnt down 1867 and rebuilt by 1869 (patron Sir Thomas Woolaston White). Ashlar limestone, graduated slate roof; West tower, 4-bay nave and apsidal chancel in one with north vestry. Tower: 3 stages, Perpendicular. Chamfered plinth and wave-moulded band, string courses between stages. Diagonal west buttresses flank 3-light window with cavetto-moulded surround and hoodmould; louvred 2-light belfry openings beneath pointed arches. Embattled parapet with north gargoyle and crocketed corner pinnacles; tiled pyramidal roof. Nave: south wall rebuilt 1869 (dated rainwater head) with west angle buttress against tower, diagonal east buttress and buttresses between bays. Porch to bay 1 has pointed arch with hoodmould and crow-stepped gable. Other bays with chamfered, square-headed 2-light windows with mouchettes; eaves cornice. North wall: 2 western bays with C15 ashlar walling, position of blocked north door and contemporary window, eastern bay of rubble with C19 window as south. Chancel: reticulated tracery to 3-light east window, flanking 2-light windows divided by buttresses, apex cross. North vestry: gabled with 2-light window and apex cross. Coupled stacks to main roof above vestry.

Interior: C19 tower arch with 3 chamfered orders to east, inner order on corbels. Nave and chancel: string course beneath windows, contrasting ashlar bands and contrasting voussoirs to window heads; plaque at west end of north wall records fire and rebuilding of 1869. Font: carved bowl set on cylindrical pillar and 4 shafts and inscribed 'Fanny White / Sculpt'. Fittings of 1869 including poppyhead bench ends. Stained glass: several windows of 1870 by Henry Holiday, made by Powell's (Pevsner, p351). N. Pevsner, B. O. E. 1967 ed.

Listing NGR: SK5594787052

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 335806

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

End of official listing