This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

List entry Number: 1132709

Location

CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, UNION STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Rotherham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Harthill with Woodall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 335783

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTHILL WITH WOODALL UNION STREET SK48SE (east side) 4/35 Church of All Hallows 29.7.66 GV I

Church. Arcades of c1200, C13 chancel rebuilt 1897, otherwise C15, the north aisle and chapel rebuilt 1850, restored 1886-90 by J. B. Mitchell-Withers. Ashlar sandstone, lead roofs. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel with south chapel in 2-bay overlap of aisle, north organ chamber and vestry. Perpendicular style. Tower: chamfered plinth and moulded band; stair-turret door on south side. Offset angle buttresses flank C19 3-light west window with head-stopped hoodmould. String courses below and above west clock; pointed 2-light belfry openings with louvres and hoodmoulds. Gargoyles to north and south beneath embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Nave: C19 gabled porch to bay 1 has pointed outer and inner doors. Bays 2 and 3, flanked by buttresses, have 3-light hollow-chamfered surrounds beneath Tudor arches, renewed tracery; string course beneath embattled parapet. 3 clerestorey windows and parapet as aisle. North aisle has 2 C19 Romanesque windows with zig-zag ornament, 2 clerestory windows as south; tall ashlar stack adjacent to tower. Chancel: chapel windows as aisle flank C19 pointed priest's door with hoodmould, chancel bay 3 has chamfered lancet window in rubble walling. Diagonal buttresses flank C19, 3-light east window in Decorated style; aisle east windows in same style, that on left reticulated. Flat-topped north addition. Interior: C19 tower arch and vault. North arcade: cylindrical piers with octagonal capitals to 2-order round arches with light chamfers; south aisle piers similar but arches pointed and double-chamfered. C15 roof with cambered tie beams, moulded purlins and carved bosses. South aisle roof, C17 with some bosses. C19 chancel arch. Two C15 double-chamfered arches into south chapel have crenellated imposts and pier; trefoil-headed piscina and pointed-arched recess truncated by priest's door. Fittings: octagonal font with corner shafts and arcading, Jacobean cover. Fine, carved pulpit, lectern and screen by Carlo Scarselli, Florence 1877-80. Royal arms of George II in north aisle; 2 benefactions boards in south aisle. Wrought-iron screen in east bay of south chapel arcade, C16-C17; another at east end of north aisle said to be from Kiveton Park. Stained glass: south clerestorey windows said to be C16 (Garbett, p294). West window, 1876, by J. F. Bentley; east window, c1898, by Kempe and Tower. A south window by Ulisse de Matteis of the firm Francioni of Florence 1884 another to design of Holiday by Powell, 1874. Monuments: behind screen at east end of north aisle and set beneath a C18 round arch with keystone is a black and white marble tomb chest to Thomas Osborne, Duke of Leeds (d1721); nearby a tomb chest to Hugh Serlby. On chancel north wall a marble monument to Lady Margaret Osborne (d1624): kneeler in recess facing right and flanked by columns and draped figures, open pediment with finials and arm bearers. H. Garbett, The History of Harthill-with-Woodall, 1950

Listing NGR: SK4936880962

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Garbett, H, The History of Harthill with Woodall, (1950)

National Grid Reference: SK 49368 80961

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132709 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 07:41:05.

End of official listing