CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1132783
Date first listed:
29-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, DONCASTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132783 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jul-2019 at 21:30:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, DONCASTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Thrybergh
National Grid Reference:
SK 46687 95489

Details

SK49NE THRYBERGH DONCASTER ROAD (west side, off)

6/36 Church of St. Leonard

29.3.68

GV II*

Church. C11 and C12 nave with C15-style windows; chancel C14; tower C15; all much restored 1871 and 1894; vestry block added 1970 by Pace of York. Irregular sandstone rubble to earliest work; coursed rubble to chancel; otherwise ashlar. Stone slates to porch; other roofs lead. West tower with spire; 3-bay nave with south porch and C20 vestry adjoining in angle with tower; 2-bay chancel. Tower: triple-chamfered plinth. 3-light west window with hoodmould. Clock on south side. String course beneath 2-light belfry openings; another string with gargoyles beneath embattled parapet; recessed, crocketted spire with weathervane. Nave: gabled porch with moulded plinth and quadrant-moulded arch to west of two 3-light Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds. Quoins of blocked south doorway beneath bay-2 window. Upper wall ashlar; moulded parapet copings and cross to east gable. Round-arched north doorway within ashlar extension to west of original short nave. Chancel: narrower and lower; chamfered plinth. C19 priest's door beneath medieval niche; weathered carving in small triangular panel over. To left a restored 3-light window with geometrical tracery; to right a square-headed 2-light window with ogee-shaped transoms. Upper walling renewed C20; parapet as nave. Restored 4-light east window in Decorated style flanked by offset buttresses.

Interior: chancel and tower arches renewed. Nave roof: framed with moulded, cambered tie-beams. C14 effigy set against south wall of tower, another within C20 vestry. Niche at south-east end of nave contains tomb of Ralph Reresby (d.1530): incised depiction of knight; reredos with arms and Latin inscription. Another table tomb, now cut in half, and fixed in south-east corner of chancel. Nave and chancel display an excellent sequence of wall monuments ranging from late C16 to early C19. Of particular note that on north wall of chancel to Lionel Reresby and wife Anne (d.1587): 2 kneelers each beneath canopy, mourners below. In addition to monuments described by Pevsner (B.O.E., pp516-517) are those to Sir John Reresby I (d.1668) over nave south door and to his son Sir John II: panel with carved skulls and trophies, plaque with scrolled pediment above. Reresby brass 1668 near chancel arch. Restored C15 stained glass in easternmost window of nave south wall.

N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Yorkshire West Riding, 1967 ed.

Listing NGR: SK4668795489

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
335545
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 516-517

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04538/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Paul Eggleston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].