THE WOOL EXCHANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1132985
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1963
Statutory Address:
THE WOOL EXCHANGE, MARKET STREET BD1

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WOOL EXCHANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132985.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 02:24:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE WOOL EXCHANGE, MARKET STREET BD1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 16402 33128

Details

1. 5111 MARKET STREET BD1 (west side)

The Wool Exchange SE 1633 SW 36/140 14.6.63

I

2. Competition winning design of 1864 by Lockwood and Mawson. The foundation stone was laid by the Prime Minister Lord Palmerston. Completed in 1867. Occupying a triangular island site, the building has 3 main storeys of very finely masoned Bradford sandstone with a prominent clock tower at the north end. Red and yellow sandstone dressings. In type the design looks to the precedent of the great Flemish Cloth Halls but the style is Venetian Gothic, particularly in the polychromy and the serrated openwork of the parapet cresting. (An unexecuted design for Halifax Town Hall by sir G G Scott was perhaps a more immediate influence). Steep hipped slate roof with ridge cresting. Pointed ground floor arcade, originally open, with shafts and geometrical tracery. Coupled shafted lights to first floor and similar but shorter tripled lights to second floor. Both with toothed weathered sill courses and carved impost bands. Bartizan pinnacled turrets to each corner. Rose windows to south end. The north tower provides a grand open porch on the ground floor, with canopied statues to corners, and roses in 3 tall stages to the clock stage with crocketed gables applied to each face and pinnacled bartizan corner turrets. Similar parapet existing as on main building and sharp spire surmounted by crocketed pinnacle. In the spandrel of the ground floor arcade are portrait medallions of the following notables: facing Market Street: Cobden, Sir Titus Salt, Stephenson, Watt, Arkwright, Jacquard, Gladstone, Palmerston. Facing Bank Street: Raleigh, Drake, Columbus, Cook and Anson. The main hall is still used as a Wool exchange and has finely detailed lofty hammer-beam roof with wrought iron work decoration. The hall is surrounded by tall polished granite columns with foliate capitals and there is an outer south aisle arcade with good naturalistic foliage carving. Lively wrought ironwork balcony and staircase balustrade. The Wool Exchange, perhaps more than any other building, symbolises the wealth and importance that Bradford had gained by the mid C19, on the basis of the wool trade.

Listing NGR: SE1640233128

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
336860
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/16001/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tim Nichols. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].