BRADFORD TRADESMENS HOMES AND CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133047

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Aug-1983

Statutory Address: BRADFORD TRADESMENS HOMES AND CHAPEL, 1-43, HEATON ROAD

Statutory Address: BRADFORD TRADESMENS HOMES AND CHAPEL, 1-43, LILY CROFT

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRADFORD TRADESMENS HOMES AND CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133047 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 16:45:13.

Location

Statutory Address: BRADFORD TRADESMENS HOMES AND CHAPEL, 1-43, HEATON ROAD

Statutory Address: BRADFORD TRADESMENS HOMES AND CHAPEL, 1-43, LILY CROFT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 14684 34452

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 LILY CROFT Heaton Road (off) Manningham BD8

Bradford Tradesmens Homes (Nos 1 to 43 (consec) and Chapel) (formerly listed under Heaton Road) SE 1434 NE 27/722 SE 1434 SE 30/722 1.9.77

II

2. A cul-de-sac off Heaton Road. 1867 and 1878 almshouses ranged around 4 sides of a rectangular green. Three almshouses were subscribed to Sir Titus Salt, S C Lister, Isaac Holden amongst the principal Bradford area mill owners and industrialists. Foundation stone of north range and return wings laid by Sir T Salt in 1867. Single storey and attic, sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings. Designed in a simplified High Victorian Gothic by the Milnes and France partnership. Steeply pitched Welsh slate roof with decorative ridge tiles. Large ashlar chimney stacks on ridge. Overhanging eaves on wood brackets. One window front with hipped gables to half dormers. Shaped stepped heads to windows. Chamfered pointed arch doorways with fanlights. In the centre of the north range is a small chapel with a projecting canted front and crowning clock turret. Shafted doorway with lunette and wing from arch a 2 light colonetted window contained in gable. The 2 stone lamas flanking the entrance come from Sir T Salt's home. The chapel windows have reset German stained glass. The north range is linked to wing ranges by pointed arch gateways. The south range of almshouses was added in 1878. Similar detail but with central and end houses breaking forward with gabled fronts containing canted bay windows with paired first floor windows surmounted by blind pointed lunettes with quatrefoils. The central gable has a tiled inscription with the date 1878.

Listing NGR: SE1468434452

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 336726

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing